Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Weight around middle  (Read 8890 times)

Winterose

Re: Weight around middle
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »

Also perhaps some prunes as I got constipation, keep some cucumber and hummous or similar ready for your weak moments and dont be too hard on yourself as better to eat a little bit more than blow the whole days effort,  :D

Machair

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »

The only thing that works for me is to eat lightly in the evening and cut out carbs then too. It works every time.Thing is although I live In Essex I was born in Lancashire and was brought up on stodge, so crave it all the time. Cakes, bread, pies, potatoes, puddings all on my favourites list. I just have to say no after 6pm to them all and stick to salads and very light desserts. I don't count calories I just stick to this - you can do it anywhere, any time even on holiday - just eat the treat foods earlier in the day in moderation.

The loss of progesterone means you need 300 calories a day less after menopause - if you eat the same way you will gain weight slowly - sad but true!

LizzyT

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »

Well this subject caught my eye. It's the worst thing about menopause. As I said in my intro post, I no longer recognize myself. When I'm out shopping and see myself in a window or mirror I just can't believe what has happened :'( Should I throw my clothes out? I haven't fit into my shorts for two summers. Shopping is a nightmare. Add insomnia, hot flashes and all the other gems and people wonder why we're moody.

I hope this thread continues. I'd like to hear how everyone is doing. I'm thinking of giving 5:2 a chance. Someone posted a link that suggests while 5:2 wasn't good for younger women, the over 50 crowd seems to benefit.

Best wishes everyone!

Shazzie

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »

Thanks for all your replies.

It really helps to know that I am not the only one suffering like this.  I keep getting summer clothes out of my wardrobe and putting them back as they don't fit this year.  Oh dear.  Time to get the exercise bike out and dish up on a smaller plate

I've got a wedding to go to at the end of August.  What am I going to wear???

Shazzie xx

Hurdity

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »

Hi Shazzie - yes that's the time to start - that's how I keep more or less to the same weight. If I've put clothes away for a season and they don't fit the next then I've put on weight and need to lose it, so I'm less than a stone heavier than when I was 18 - still need to lose a few pounds though! Good luck with the 5:2. I might be able to do it myself after Sept as I am working one less day -(my work is active and uses a lot of energy!), so could do it on a Weds and then a weekend day.

Shazzie you could easily lose weight slowly by the end of August - depends on how much you are overweight. For sustained weight loss - should lose no more than 1-2 pounds per week, but if very overweight then I think more may be lost in early weeks. Make sure you do more exercise along with the calorie cutting, so that the weight lost is not muscle. To get a bit of a better shape round the middle then exercise targetting this are is beneficial - abdominals etc. At least you will develop the strength to hold it in then!

Yes smaller portions - I've been using a smaller plate for many years - ever since I became aware my metabolism was slowing.

And yes get out that exercise bike!!

Good luck!

Hurdity x

Winterose

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 04:56:53 PM »

Shazzie

The 5:2 targets the weight around your middle, its the only "diet" i have tried that hasnt reduced my boobs and made them saggy. Ease yourself into it, cut down to 1000 cals for your diet days twice a week , go out for some walks and see how you go.  i did about 800 -1000 and still lost weight, first 2 weeks nothing much happened and then it started coming off.  Buy some calorie counted meals and steam lots of broccoli with them until you are confident with portion size,  allow yourself carbs if you feel weak.  Its all about finding what works for you as everyone is different.  What is your weight now and what would you realistically like to achieve by end August?

I have a very physically demanding job and still manage my diet days , in fact the busier I am the easier it is. However I would nt run up a mountain on a diet day. :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]