Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: integrated fridge freezer not cold enough....AGAIN  (Read 9913 times)

oldsheep

integrated fridge freezer not cold enough....AGAIN
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »

We are on our 3rd incarnation of an integrated FF in 8 years. It's properly built in with adequate ventilation, as we were very careful last time - we added more air space than there was before.
When there's a warm spell like recently (and let's face it, it's not the tropics - it's 26 degrees in the flat mostly) the damn thing struggles to get below 5.5 degrees on maximum setting.
It'll probably go back to normal after the summer.
I've been measuring up our galley type kitchen (NOT enormous!) to see if a freestanding one would work.
We'd have to get the current space fitted with shelving and the current shelving removed for the FF.
It would really be quite tough to work around.
Hate integrated appliances as they cost more and work less well  >:(  Rant over.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: integrated fridge freezer not cold enough....AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 03:27:58 PM »

Many years ago we tried an up-right freezer, lasted about 3 months before we traded it in for our 3rd chest style, holds more.  We have a larder fridge which seems to be running on 'high' as the butter isn't as solid.  It's the Summer that does it?  Fortunately we have a large utility room so don't have to worry about white goods in the kitchen.  All windows open today, R yours?

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »

as much ventilation as a small top flat with small sash windows allows. I have 2 fridge thermometers and they are both reading 5.7 degrees. Suppose that's ok but don't want it any higher.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »

Air falls from the up-right ones as soon as the door is opened.  I think the cooler air is at the bottom?

If there are any gaps in the baskets, fill them with boxes or newspapers to keep it operating at capacity.

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »

Thanks! The freezer bit at the bottom is still freezing stuff. No gaps - it's as full as usual. Fruit in there in the summer, wine, chicken and salmon. Veggie and salad drawer full too.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »

I could never get the veggie drawer to work  ::) so use it elsewhere in the house.  Wine doesn't last long enough in this house to be left in the fridge unless there's a smidgen in the bottom of the bottle  ;D (remember I don't drink …….. )

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »

Just ordered a fridge thermometer as ours is doing the same.

bramble

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »

The fridge bit of my standalone fridge freezer is between 2-5 degrees so yours is not that inefficient OS.

Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »

Have to say I don't rate integrated appliances very highly. I have had both and have found the free standing one's work and last much better.
 Don't know why but for years I have had two fridges and two freezers. In this house I have two in the kitchen and two in the garage. In our last house we had two in the kitchen and two in the other end of the house.
The integrated look great but don't work half as well as free standing. Not enough air circulation I think.

The best freezer is a chest one but they are not easy to fit into a built in kitchen.

Honeyb
x

bramble

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »

My freestanding fridge freezer is just 14 months old and I had the engineer out to it on Thursday - £120 later it is working again. He was in the house less than half an hour! My last fridge freezer lasted more than 15 years!

Bramble