Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anxiety levels  (Read 9148 times)

PaulineW

Anxiety levels
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:35 PM »

Hi this is my first time on the forum I find it interesting and helpful but can anyone out there help why, my anxiety is so bad sometimes I'm fine then bang it hits me my stomach is doing cartwheels , jelly legs dizzy , feel faint and nausea just can't cope I have had this for a few months  :'( been to the docs had tests and yes I'm hormonal . I can't take hrt and ad made me feel awful . I understand vit b's may help ? It's really making me stop doing things and even holidays are a no no  :( sorry to drone on x

Joyce

Re: Anxiety levels
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »

That was me this time last week. Mine is more situational anxiety though. I'd been stuck on a busy train for several hours returning from looking after grandkids in Notts. Added to the fact that DDs partner is recovering from major op. All got too much. It's not fine when you feel you're losing control of your emotions. My stomach was in knots for about 4 days, appetite went AWOL.
I have managed to book a holiday though, but may well need some diazapam to help with long flight.
Lots of ladies on here suffer with varying degrees of anxiety, so you're not alone.

PaulineW

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »

Thanks for quick reply I take diazepam if things get tough  :'( going back yo the docs next week . I know anxiety is common but didn't think it was this bad enjoy your holiday x

PaulineW

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »

Hi Sparkle sorry to hear you are giving through similar things but glad things are slightly improving  :) the feelings I have are like yours I panic but hubby is brill he helps me as much as he can . There have been a couple of situations my mother is poorly and I don't get a lot of involvement as I am 150 miles away and my sister dose'nt bother to contact me when I ring she never gets back to me . Definitely peri- meno . Thanks for advise xx

Suzyq

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:51:18 AM »

I've had terrible anxiety since I hit peri. It's just awful! I keep it under control now with cbt, hypnosis downloads and exercise. Just try to give into it rather than fighting it! When you feel anxious try to think come on rather than oh no! It's hard but remember it doesn't harm you, just feels awful!

I also use progesterone which is fab for anxiety

Hope you feel better soon xxxx

Marlene Talbot

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:36:49 PM »

Hello to all,I'm a newbie to this site,but have bad anxiety issue,I began menopause at 48 yrs.anxiety ,hot flushes,palps.After 2 yrs all calm,then fast forward till age of 58 yrs I came down with a bad virus,wham menopausal symptoms back big time.this time don't want to leave like the first time,now I have vaginal anxiety,plus IBS also hot flushes also the cold ones ( shivery )I find sitting uncomfortable,due to back and front.Ive been checked out 3 times told all was fine on Gyne side ,over past 8 yrs,.My smears all normal( never missed one over the yrs )the anxiety is my biggest problem,can't get it down,no matter what's been tried.i believe if that's gone on the Gyne side things will to some degree get me back on track.At now  67 yrs I'm to tired of all this going on a 2nd time,Any of you ladies this rings a bell with can give me some advice I would be grateful.I can't believe a virus can set me off down this road again,as it's left me with tinnitus and rhinitis along with menopause. Many thanks for advice in advance. I'm new to the comp world,this site is amazing you ladies know more than most Drs.thats a bonus to other females.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »

Hello PaulineW.

Yep, anxiety has got me too. I seem to be constantly on edge but can cope until something out of the ordinary occurs then I panic. Interestingly I've found that if I'm in a really irritable, angry mood I'm not so anxious so maybe one cancels out the other? What annoys me is that things I could cope with a few years ago without any anxiety whatsoever now scare me witless. It's just so irrational.

This forum is a wonderful source of information and support.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:09:14 PM »

Welcome girls even though you are here because of anxiety: I suffered responsiblity anxiety for years, eventually I became housebound  :'( - my GP has given me Valium to use on an as-necessary basis which helped through the 1990s; when I became worse he tried Propranolol which is a beta-blocka and fortunately that in the main, works for me.  When DH went away 3 years ago I collapsed, deep fear which went to my gut which meant I was unable to eat or function.

I now have another medication to use as necessary (forgot the name).  I found that relaxation therapy can help, some ladies find regular yoga sessions beneficial, walking, swimming; music .......... it can be debilitating

Marlene Talbot

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 03:48:06 PM »

Hi none of the meds help,seem to give me more anxiety,so I had to go down another route,like Valerian,again no go.I do Meditation have done for 7 yrs plus.think menopause playing havoc,hence it's been so great plus other issues running with it this time.On advice by accident a lady put me now onto Serenity cream,contains natural progesterone,try anything the stage I'm at.Having the tinnitus and rhinitis isent helping matters.When these probs began I thought maybe this was how it ends same way it began .Ive now had high BP in past 16 months not had that prior,so I think that's down to stress,to what's happened in past 8 plus yrs.with the tinnitus ,in past 3 yrs I have a balance issue.Never in my  67 yrs have things been so bad .My female dr is good ,but unless your going through these probs yourself past or present,it's hard for her to give or put me in right direction to getting back on tract.thanks for your posting.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »

Hi Marlene Talbot

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your continued problems including anxiety which is a common at menopause. Have you had a general blood test recently just to check out everything else including thyroid, blood sugar etc?

I'm not sure what you mean by vaginal anxiety but if you have vaginal problems such that it makes sitting uncomfortable then have you ever taken local oestrogen which is recommended for any issues/discomfort in that area, whatever the doctor says? Unfortunately I doubt whether you would be able to start full HRT at your age now, as the evidence suggests that the risks may be too great (unless you had already been taking it).

Here is the list of vaginal symptoms http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php and the treatments for it: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php and http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php . There is no problem starting this at any age.

If you are unable to take HRT then there are anti-depressants available that also deal with hot flushes - and although they should not be prescribed as the first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms in women under 60 or newly going through menopause, they can be a real help to those unable to take HRT for whatever reason. They are listed here - Clonidine is one such -but there are likely to be initial side effects before any benefits are felt: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

Finally are you being treated for your blood pressure? There are natural ways to deal with this if you have a problem with medication: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-pressure-%28high%29/Pages/Prevention.aspx

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

nelliedee

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »

For me the extra anxiety that peri meno bought into my life has been the pits. 2 years ago I got so bad I was almost agraphobic. I read myself senseless, visited GP everyday for a week as I was full of anxiety and so scared but I dont know what I was scared of. It had all come out of the blue and I was told I was depressed and to take AD'S which I did as I thought I had well and truly gone nuts. The AD'S initially can make anxiety worse and they sure did with me so that was end of that. I was then told I probably had GAD (General anxiety disorder) which made me feel even more scared, mainly of myself. I read myself senseless until I found this site and the penny dropped for which I will always be thankful. I did initally take a little diazipam and Propanolol which did help in the early days but the one thing that has helped beyond anything else was exercise, I walked 2 miles a day and gradually things improved. I had some major 'goings-ons' last year, healthwise and family matters and I expected myself to crumble but I got through everything ok. Last week I hit an awful low and posted on here that I wasnt coping, 1st time in 2 years I had felt that low. I was feeling almost hysterical one minute and deeply depressed the next !! That lifted the very next day and I have been fine again. Looking back I havent walked for months as had become complacent so I started exercising again and I feel lifted again. I feel if we burn of a little of the anxiety that meno brings it can make things more manageable

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »

Acceptance that we are not 'the same' is difficult.  It's not called 'the change' for nowt  :-X

Marlene Talbot

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »

Thank you,I've done the walking 2hrs a day 7 days a week,for over 2yrs ,all weather,I.was out in it,and that was fast pace walking,due to the anxiety.When I had virus I'd lost  over 4st in weight in that 4 months virus stayed with me.I ended up having to take Metatone,on a nurses advice as I lacked vitamins,so when I did eat I was burning it off fast .,as I'd lost muscle from everywhere,so that amount of walking was doing me more harm.it took about 16 months of Metatone to get weight back up.Regarding meds I'd had Citalopram,Diazapam, and a beta blocker.now I just manage it ,as a day goes by, it settles to a tolerable level.I am on a BP tab Losartan. I cannot take HRT due to family breast cancer,so I'm at a loss never thought at this age the menopause would come back to haunt me. I've also had 2skin cancers removed,then followed by a neck tumor removed last year,and carpal tunnel op.So it's been fair amount has happened in short space of time.im never depressed, just fed up with not getting anywhere answer wise.I generally take life as it comes,and not prone to illness till this virus .thanks for answering .

nelliedee

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 06:55:13 AM »

I think most of the titled anxieties can raise their head in peri meno/meo, social anxiety, health anxiety, situation anxiety.... the list is endless and an awful lot of us seem to suffer to some degree.  I seem to have suffered most of them  ::
I am back to cutting out the caffeine again as i had let that slip lately. I am starting to push myself to do some light exercise and I am eating regular again

PaulineW

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »

Hi just want to say thanks to everyone for all your comments it's nice we can share our problems and even some of the tips may help  ::) I will definitely keep posting  ;D xxx
Pages: [1] 2