Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Estradot any advice or personal experience  (Read 12839 times)

paulineh

Estradot any advice or personal experience
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »

Hi

I've just been prescribed estradot 25 37.5 to give me the combined dose of 62.5. I was on Evorel 75 but was experiencing terrible headaches & face pain. I reduced it to 50 but the night sweats, depression, anxiety and general low mood kicked in. My Gyno reckons that somewhere in between should be tried. I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of estradot. I've had a hysterectomy so only need estrogen although I still have my ovaries. I'm a little apprehensive about changing but hate feeling like this.

Thanks
Paulineh

Joyce

Re: Estradot any advice or personal experience
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:47:53 PM »

I was on estradot 50 as alternative to gel which had ceased to be as beneficial. Then down to 37.5 now half a 25. Worked well for me, but everyone is different.

Winterose

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »

Hello Paulineh

I like you have had an hysterectomy and have my ovaries, I started on Estradot 50 , rapidly went to 75 and then 3 years later am on 100 which might be slightly too high as breasts are a bit tender, i change the patches every 3 days and am very pleased with them, I was initially on tablets but asked for the patches.  You will just have to try them out and see how you get on, I hope they work for you as they are small and discreet .

Suzyq

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:14:35 AM »

Hi I started on the gel but couldn't achieve consistency - the patches have been good for me but finding the right level is harder.... They are easy to use, stick well and are consistent so I'm sure you will get on well with them

paulineh

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »

Thanks ladies I'll just have to bite the bullet! X

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »

Hi paulineh

I've used Estradot 50 mcg for over 7 years ( more or less continuously). I think they're fab! I tried 25 mcg  and also 37.5 mcg but symptoms returned, so I'm just fine on this dose. I haven't tried increasing - which I would do but I have to take progesterone, and I am already on a longish cycle (6-8 weeks) so have to keep to this dose, which keeps me on an even keel.

Good luck with them! At least they are very small!

Hurdity x

paulineh

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »

Hi winterose

Do you take any progesterone? I was wondering if I need any of that. The lower dose of estrogen has made the anxiety come back & I'd rather deal with headaches than that. I just wondered if I'm lacking progesterone & maybe that would help with my headaches.

Paulineh

sweettooth

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »

Hi Paulineh, reading your post is like reading mine, i too had hyster and i am on 50mcg estradot, like you i can never get the dose just right so i have threw the towel in and just take my paracetamol as soon as i feel a headache coming on.  I got headaches anyway when i stopped patch for a while and my energy and mood was low.  For me i think it is the changing levels still.  For some women hrt does not cure all and we have to perhaps top it up with other aids such as ADs, herbal etc to have a reasonable quality of life.  I rarely suffered headaches before meno and i know they are hormone related as my mood changes before one comes on which is something to do with estrogen's effect on brain chemicals and on vessels (vascular headaches).  I still wonder why i get these headaches and shifts in mood that accompany them as i have had my ovaries out a few years back, i am 52.  You can google 'effects of estrogen on vessel.  Good luck with your new regime xx

paulineh

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »

Hi Sweettooth

I'm back using Evorel 75 for the time being. On the lower dose I felt awful I instantly felt better when I upped it again. Not only that I've also got a face full of spots😁😁. Were you on Evorel before? And if so do you find estradot better or easier to tolerate?

Thanks
Pauline x

sweettooth

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »

I was on evorel years ago but tbh i have tried different patches, gel etc and to reach a balance is impossible! i cant seem to tolerate any higher than 50 now but as i have said these needs vary. Headaches although not intense and low mood are the symptoms i have found difficult at times.  We will get there some day i am sure :). Stick with your evorel for a while and see how you go, i like estradot because they are small and stick very well.  Wishing you well P