Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fending off osteoporosis the natural way?  (Read 11390 times)

Rowan

Re: Fending off osteoporosis the natural way?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »

Just everyday stuff done in the house and garden and walking upstairs too.

When you think about it anything that you do except when you are asleep counts, it all adds up.

Every movement you make encourages the break down and then build up of bone as long as you have the nutrients and hormones ( losing bone in some women can start quite a while  before menopause) for the progress.

People on certain medication as HB says need extra help, anyone man or woman who takes regular medication for asthma is at risk too, my brother has taken vitamin and minerals for years and walks everywhere.

I shouldn't worry about how fast you walk as long as you walk! keep active and keep going.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:26:02 AM by silverlady »

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »

The thread title says "Fending off osteoporosis the natural way"

You couldn't get more natural then Susan Weed here is her advice

http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Bone_Health.htm

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »

Interesting reading SL although I didn't realise that using HRT gives us a forty percent higher chance of developing breast cancer. I see this is from 2001 - have the figures been revised? I am concerned now!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2014, 10:14:40 AM »

I have read about this before and there have been studies, here is up to date info

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/factors-that-modify-breast-cancer-risk-in-women-beyond-the-basics

I should not worry Taz, I don't, everything is a trade off. and its only one of many factors.

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »

That's what I thought. It was just a bit worrying reading such a statement but then I saw the date and thought that probably figures had been revised since then.

Taz x

Cassie

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »

She talks about chopping wood & carrying water...ok, cave lady lol... so what other examples of weight bearing exercises can you ladies recommend, I somehow, do not see hubby letting me loose withe the axe.. :D

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2014, 12:10:03 PM »

There might be something here that's suitable http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/osteoporosis/Pages/prevention.aspx

Taz x  :)

Rowan

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »

From the link I posted

ACKNOWLEDGMENT

The editorial staff at UpToDate, Inc. would like to acknowledge Dr. Mary Costanza, who contributed to an earlier version of this topic review

Literature review current through: Apr 2014. | This topic last updated: Jan 15, 2013.

STANDARD RISK FACTORS

Increasing age — The primary risk factor for breast cancer in most women is older age. The incidence of breast cancer rises sharply with age until the age of 45 to 50, at which point the rise is less steep. At age 75 to 80, the incidence rates flatten out and then start to decline after this.

Gender — Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women and occurs 100 times more commonly in women than in men.

Race/ethnicity — In the United States, white women have the highest rate of breast cancer; for every 100,000 women, there are 124 cases diagnosed. The rate of breast cancer is lower in black women (113 per 100,000), American Indians/Alaska natives (92 per 100,000), and Hispanic women (90 per 100,000). It is lowest in Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders (82 per 100,000).

Weight — The impact of both weight gain and obesity is mostly associated with an increased risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. A higher body mass index (BMI) is associated with a lower risk of premenopausal breast cancer, although the mechanism behind this association is not clear.

Tall stature — Tall stature is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer. In studies, women who were at least 69 inches were more likely to develop breast cancer compared to women less than 63 inches tall.   

Increased estrogen exposure

Benign breast disease — In addition to breast cancer, women can develop abnormal breast findings. These breast abnormalities can develop because of excessive growth of the glandular breast tissue (also known as proliferative lesions) or comprised of increases in fibrous tissue, ductal enlargement, or cyst formations (known as nonproliferative lesions). Women with a history of proliferative breast lesions have an increased risk for breast cancer, particularly if the cells appear abnormal (atypical hyperplasia).

Breast density on mammography — Women whose mammograms show many dense areas of tissue have an increased risk of breast cancer compared to women whose mammograms reveal mainly fat tissue.

High bone density — Bone contains estrogen receptors and is sensitive to circulating estrogen. Therefore, bone mineral density (BMD) is considered a surrogate marker to circulating estrogen levels. In studies, women with a high BMD have a higher risk of breast cancer.

Other hormonal factors

Androgens — Elevated testosterone levels in women are associated with an increased risk of breast cancer with some studies suggesting an elevated risk specifically for hormone receptor-positive disease.

Insulin — Other hormones that may influence breast cancer risk include high levels of insulin and growth factors related to the insulin pathway.

Lots of ways to ways to get in weigh bearing exercises

Jump up and down on the spot a few times
Carry shopping one bag in each hand
carrying a baby or child is weight bearing
Lifting a heavy kettle is weight bearing
You are doing things in your life all the time that is weight bearing :)

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »

Thanks SL that was really  interesting.

I have been carrying bags of gravel up the drive this morning, well I was on one end and hubby on the other  ::). If I had known it was good for me I would not have moaned so much  ;D

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »

Go and thank him HB  ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »

:lol:

Hope you tightened that pelvic floor first Honeyb - you don't want to end up like me!!

Taz x  :D

Rowan

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 01:50:27 PM »

That's a good point!! remember to bend from the knees, that if your knees are ok, perhaps we should all stick to walking ;D

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »

:crutch: :crutch: :crutch: :crutch:

honeybun

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 03:26:39 PM »

My knees have been gubbed for years so don't know if bending is a great idea.
He, hubby that is, sticks me on the end of something heavy and we are supposed to carry it between us. He is over a foot taller than me, has long legs and takes big steps. I end up trotting to keep up. I refuse to be the one who walks backwards though  ;D, that slows him down a bit.
Did not buy enough gravel so had to repeat the process this afternoon. Lots of weight bearing exercise for me today.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »

"There are no diseases and no cures for diseases ……. "  I stopped reading at this point  >:(

What exercise did you take in your teens?  skipping, hoola hooping, French String ……….

Hoovering is good exercise  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3