Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Extreme Moods  (Read 5245 times)

Kathleen

Extreme Moods
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »

Hello ladies.
Can anyone reassure me that I'm not going mad? My moods are extreme and very hard to deal with. I often wake up in a rage, so irritable and bad tempered that nothing soothes me. I also feel tearful but can't always cry and when I do manage some tears, instead of feeling relieved I'm still tense. I also have anxiety issues. I am so fed up with this, will I ever feel normal?

I have been on Evorel 50mg patches and Utrogestan for three months but I am still having some flushes and night sweats. I am 57 and post meno.

Do any of you ladies have any advice or words of wisdom, I hate living like this.

Wishing you all well and thank you for reading.

K.

dulciana

Re: Extreme Moods
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »

Kathleen, I'm sure you're not going mad and please be assured that you are not alone.   I've had this sort of thing, too.  Do you listen to the morning news before you get up, at all, and would you consider tuning into a more soothing channel, if you do?   My hubby always wants the news on first thing, which can have a very bad effect on me. If I get my way, it's soft music and a cup of tea to soothe me into the day, and it helps!   I'm also better after I've had some food; and I know coffee doesn't help, although I always have a cup with my breakfast. ::)
My mood is definitely better after a good (or reasonable) night's sleep and I swear by Boots' Ladycare magnet, which I'm sure has kept night sweats at bay for all the time (over two years) I've been using it. 
  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »

How were your moods during your menstruating years?

HORMONES  >:(

How is your diet?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Sorry to hear about your extreme moods. Are you taking utrogestan on a cycle - because if so - this could well be the reason and caused by the progesterone increasing and decreasing?

Normally once you are post-menopausal, your hormones (oestrogen and progesterone) no longer fluctuate and also if you are on continuous combined HRT they should remain stable. There can be some  variation due to differences in absorption especially with oral HRT but I wouldn't have thought this would be sufficient to cause such extreme moods. Maybe another reason - eg your body acclimatising to the HRT regime if you haven't been on it long, or even other hormones eg thyroid?

Some women also find continuous progesterone - as in continuous combined HRT - causes constant low grade pms like side effects - and this includes irritability.

Sorry to hear you are still having night sweats too - how long have you been on this HRT? If you've been on it quite a long time maybe an increase in oestrogen might be beneficial, provided there is nothing else going on?

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »

Thank you dulciana, CLKD and Hurdity for your replies, it means a lot and I am grateful.

I started patches three months ago using  Evoral 25mg and only recently increased these to 50mg so I assume I am still getting used to the extra hormones. I take Utrogestan for 25 days then leave a few days gap to see if there is a bleed but that has not happened so far.

I don't feel irritable this morning thank goodness ( I've been as angry as a fourteen year old boy lately) but I do feel tearful so my moods are still all over the shop. Oh I hate the menopause.

Once again thanks for your help ladies. Take care.
K.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »

How is your diet?

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »

I did something silly last night, I used a full pump of estrogel last night, heavens knows why ::) but I had the most awful night! I couldn't get to sleep my brain felt as it if had had too much coffee, my heart kept skipping and I felt hot and this morning I was at snapping at OH.

I didn't use my dab of progesterone.

Never again, the lesson I have learned is that for me less is definitely more, and not to change what is working.

It goes to show that we are all so different, I didn't like that person at all, and am glad that it is wearing off and I can feel my calm self again.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »

Hello CLKD and silverlady and thanks for your comments.

CLKD -I think my diet is pretty good, I don't eat junk food and get plenty of fruit a veg. I avoid dairy and alcohol and I'm not overweight. I walk a lot but don't do any extra excercise... too tired.

Silverlady - Your 'estrogel overdose' story definately rang some bells with me, so now I'm wondering if my 50mg patch is too much!

When I first started reading the forum I remember ladies talking about the minefield that HRT can be and now I understand exactly what they meant. 

I think I'll stick with my regime a little longer and see if my moods and flushes begin to settle down.
Thank you for taking the time to write and wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »

Grazing can help ease mood swings as it regulates blood sugar. A sudden alteration can cause anxiety and mood swings!

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »

Hi again Kathleen

Just to add that sudden changes in oestrogen dose definitely can cause side effects but these usually subside as the body acclimatises to the additional external source of oestrogen.  I can't remember how old you are but 50 mcg is not a high dose - but if you are peri-menopausal you maybe have some of your own oestrogen still left from functioning ovaries which could contribute to how you are feeling ie you may notice the effects of the increase from 25 mcg to 50 mcg more than otherwise?

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »

Hello Hurdity and thank you for your message.

I am 57 and post meno and haven't had a period for three and a half years so I'm pretty sure most of my hormones are dead as door nails!
I will continue with the 50mg patch for a while longer and see if things settle, I certainly hope they do.
It's funny that you mention that 50mg is a low dose. In the last few weeks I've gone from thinking my first patch at 25mg was just right, to thinking it was too low, then using a 50mg and believing that was too high and now wondering if it's too low or just right. Confusion reigns! I guess that is also part of the process, trying to predict what will feel right.

Thank you for your input and if I ever get this just right I'll be sure to let everyone know!
Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Mrs January

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »

Hey Kathleen

I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a time just now. Do things that make you feel good lovely and I avoid all caffeine ( seems to help me) I still with herbal teas like camomile and honey.

This time will pass, try to take each day and hopefully these times will ease for you. For now you have this group of friends through MM to help you through

Lotsa hugs

Mrs January xxx

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »

Thank you, mrs January. I'll do my best!  Take care. K.