Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2293 times)

louie2

« on: April 22, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »

Hi.. am new to this site so forgive me for being slightly nervous!  :-\

I'm a week into using HRT (evorel conti patches) had put off HRT for over a year as thought I could get through the dread meno on my own!! having reached what I can only describe as one of the lowest points in my life I succumbed kicking and screaming to the point of tears, panic attack and terror at putting the first patch on - has anyone else felt like that? I guess it was mainly because I take BP medication already and I have heard HRT can raise it, also about the many unwanted side effects that can sometimes happen, up to now all I seem to have noticed is a slight leg cramp occasionally, slight palpitations and numbness in fingers although I wonder if that maybe self induced? The dreaded night sweats are still in full force, although I have noticed over the past couple of days the tears and general low mood have slightly lifted, am wondering how long the HRT takes to kick in? would appreciate some advice and kind words from any like minded souls reading this..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:58 AM »

:hug:  ........  :welcomemm:

I get the pins and needles etc. when I have a panic attack, usually due to adrenaline coursing through my veins  >:( of course, when we go onto new medication we always look for side effects  ::)

Browse round.  Read the menus, left of screen .........

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:58:37 PM »

Hi louie2  :welcomemm: from me too!

Most women find that the hot flushes and night sweats are the first symptom to lessen and (hopefully) disappear, but the mood effects can take longer - sometimes up to a year! Great news that your mood has lifted already - which is the beneficial effect of the oestrogen taking effect. I am sure you will find the sweats start to reduce very soon - I noticed the effect within days but each woman is different.

I'm sure you are aware there are lots of ways to help reduce BP through diet and exercise, if you are worried that it might increase further on HRT - so hopefully you will be fine!

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »

Hi Louie  :welcomemm:

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »

Hello louie 2 and welcome to the forum.
I also put off HRT for a long while as I kept hoping that each new problem was only temporary and I would soon be out the other side. I finally gave in towards the end of last year and I'm now trying out Evorel 50mg patches and Utrogestan 100mg.
This site is a mine of information and the ladies are very supportive so you have come to the right place for help and advice.
Wishing you well.

K.

louie2

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »

Hi all, thanks for your warm welcome...

Kathleen what is Utrogestan and what is it for? x

louie2

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 07:42:31 PM »

Tears and more panic again at work today, the simplest of tasks became a huge deal... Not sure if the HRT is making me more weepy?  :'(x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »

Hang in there louie2.  You are still coming to terms with the idea of taking HRT - like so many women I think you see HRT as a sign of weakness.  It will take some time for all the benefits to kick in and for you to regain some confidence.
To answer your question about Utrogestan: If you look under the heading 'HRT Preparations' to the left of this screen you will see all the various HRT types.  You have been given a patch that contains oestrogen and progesterone - you need the progesterone to protect your uterus lining from building up.  You may find you get a bit of break through bleeding for the first few weeks or months as your body adjusts to this HRT and this is quite normal.  It is often he progesterone part of HRT that can give problems and many women change to a HRT combination that is oestrogen as either a gel or patch and then use Utrogestan for the progesterone part. Utrogestan is bio identical (the same as our own bodies progesterone) and therefore carries fewer side effects. Every women is different and reacts differently to the various HRTs on offer.  Many of us have to try a few different types before we find the right one.  Your GP has given you a very sensible first option and it will hopefully suit you well.
By week 2 of using HRT you should start to sleep better as the oestrogen builds in your body and this will really help you to deal with all the emotions you are feeling at the moment. I had a break from HRT and struggled for 3 years before giving in and reluctantly going back on - within 7 days I was sleeping better and that made all the difference.
Keep posting us.  Good luck DG x