Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hello, new with hrt probs.  (Read 14111 times)

Lin

Re: Hello, new with hrt probs.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 08:09:42 AM »

Hello ladies. Just an update. Went to see GP, he agreed i do not agree with progesterone, thats something. He said the only option he could see was mirena coil and a separate estrogen. Asked me a few questions about general health & said my thyroid doesnt sound like its an issue. I was prescribed femoston 1mg conti for 3 months and then back to see him for review. I came home and cried. i asked about micronised prog, was blanked. I was having night sweats on 2mg femoston sequi so i cant see what this is going to do. Thanks for all you advice ladies, i tried to relay it. Peegee, no i do not have anything during the day on 2mg so i now in hindsight see it was working now i have had a break with no hrt, it was just the prog phase of it that i had issue with, made me feel so anxious and achy. Thanks for your reply and your concern. So i will get my prescription today and crack on with it for next 3 months. There is nothing else for it now as i have had 2 appt with gp's in a week and just seen head practitioner at the surgery. The joys of menopause eh~? I will however do my research on mirena + separate estrogen for my next appt. Again thanks, its nice to know someone is listening to me out there, means a lot. xxxx

peegeetip

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »

Hi Lin

If you had signs of the estrogen running out in late evening / overnight then going down to 1mg is not likely to help.

If you find that 2mg is stopping them all day till evening then there are other options.

Get your doc to agree to patches sooner as they will give you a constant feed all the time your wearing them.

If you don't want patches then you need to add another 1mg of estrogen in later in the day - ie take your 1mg conti in the morning at 8am and then another 1mg estrogen tablet at 8pm.
This would balance the 2mg more over the day in either case.

The trouble is convincing the doc though as patches are more expensive and the 2nd 1mg option (elleste solo for example) would be another prescription.

Its really up to you though and you need to make it clear that 2mg was originally working.
However after a while our bodies get better at processing what we give it. So we either need a higher dose or spread it out more.
In your situation spreading out the 2mg of estrogen during the wider day would hopefully give you more lasting relief (and better sleep) :)

I'd say if the 1mg is not enough then you should start to see sweats/flushes move into the late afternoon and early evening unfortunately.

Hope you get back for another option soon.

:-*

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »

Lin

Sorry to hear you are having such problems with your GPs. I don't understand why the doc who agreed you could try a Mirena coil and separate oestrogen then sent you away with another prescription for low dose Femoston!

The point is if you are not getting good control of flushes on 2 mg (which I remember you weren't?), then it is better to try a transdermal method, and ideally as we have already said, separate oestrogen and progesterone. There was nothing to stop the doctor giving you this now ie Oestrogen patches and Utrogestan - but I can see your difficulty with the docs.

You could try the preparation you have been given - again - and see if it works and how it makes you feel. If after a month you are getting no relief from sweats and flushes you could double up on the tablets and take one in the morning and one in the evening - although you would be giving yourself double the amount of progestogen too - every day which may also give you problems....

I would be wary of adding another oestrogen only tablet without additional progestogen and I doubt the doc would recommend this anyway -  and really it is better for your body to try the transdermal mode of delivery, if you are needing higher dose (than 2 mg).

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]