Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice please.  (Read 3560 times)

Ju Ju

Advice please.
« on: March 30, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »

Hi, some advice please. As some of you may remember I have recently been to see a private gynaecologist with a view to testosterone therapy. I have been prescribed estrodot 25 patches and Climaval tablets, 1 alternate days. Things seemed to be settling down well. I had more energy, was sleeping better etc. I went back to my GP for a prescription for estrodot patches and was given a prescription evorel patches 25. A cheaper version? Unfortunately, things have not been so good since I started the evorel patches. The extreme exhaustion is back, ( getting up and showered seems like a mountain to climb), I'm not sleeping as well, had more night sweats, dizziness  and the IBS is bad again. Now I know this could all be a coincidence, but I feel the evorel patches are not suiting me. I seem to have gone back to where I was. It was good feeling better and doing more. Can I get estrodot on the NHS? Can you just go demand what you want or should I wait to see if things get better again? I've made commitments to do things next week and I don't know how I'm going to cope now. I hate letting people down.

ellie66

Re: Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »

Yes you can get Estradot on the NHS. Tell your GP they are not sticking rather than not working! Just in case they try to change your HRT. It might even be they are not sticking as well as Estradot so are therefore not as effective.

Diamonds and pearls 53

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »

Ju Ju, yes, you can ask for a specific patch- I did so when I was given Evorel instead of Estrodot.This happened because when I had my repeat prescription the GP had not specified Estrodot on the prescription so therefore the pharmacy gave me the cheapest one-Evorel. I asked for a new prescription from my GP and she obliged..like Ellie suggests,mention the stickability factor.that's what I did!
Diamonds and pearls x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »

Thank you for your replies. Actually it has stuck ok. I looked at the repeat prescription slip and it does not specify estrodot. It's interesting that you asked for a change of patch. Did you find less benefit with evorel? I shall go back to the doctor who has been supportive. My gut feeling is to be honest. My husband says I don't look very well, a contrast to when she last saw me.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »

I am not quite sure why you feel different because the two patches contain the exact same product delivered at the same rate. If you look at the green menu you can see both patches and what they contain. Yes evorel is a little cheaper but the type of oestrogen is identical.
Could you have picked up a virus that is making you feel and look unwell.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »

I don't think so. I feel like I felt before starting the treatment. It just feels worse because I have experienced a feeling of wellness.

ellie66

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »

It may well be the sticking formulation of it is different so you are not getting as much oestrogen.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:57 PM »

Yes, just been reading up on it. So saying it is not sticking properly is actually a better way to go because I will be told there is no difference otherwise. Thank you for your advice.

ellie66

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »

Ju Ju it may well be the adhesives causing the issue and an absorption problem as they will definitely different between different makes of patches.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »

Evorel has the reputation of being the patch that sticks the very best. Be wary of using this as a reason because GPS will probably be aware of this.

Honeyb
x

ellie66

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »

Thanks HoneyB I tried patches once kept dropping off,moving, half sticking on etc. I have sensitive skin. I hate patches not for me.