Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: venaflaxin  (Read 2506 times)

sue23

venaflaxin
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:02:44 PM »

:( sorry not sure if I have spelt it right,  has anyone been on the above anti,  for hot flushers, my doctor says it,s very good for people who cannot take hrt, or do not want to take it thanks :-\

groundhog

Re: venaflaxin
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »

Hello - my consultant had recommended this to me too as he also says if has had very good results at controlling hot flushes.  As I am already on citalopran for depression I didn't want to change as I can cope with the flushes.  My friend is on venlaflaxine and is very good on it with no major problems plus it really does help with the flushes.
Best wishes xx

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:48:26 AM »

A friend was put on it some time ago for hot flushes.  It worked for a while but not any more.  She now has been extremely reluctant to discontinue use because of the potential side-effects on withdrawal.  So she is pointlessly taking a medication which is not efficacious - a far from ideal situation.

Just to say - worth discussing potential side-effects on withdrawal with the doctor before you make a decision.

All the best.

Galadriel

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:02:50 AM »

Hi Ladies,

I've been on venlafaxine twice in the past for generalised anxiety disorder. I have first hand experience of coming off and it is relatively easy to do if the doc gives you the right version.
 It's been a few years but this is how I think I came off it.
I was on 75mg once a day... when tapering off I swapped to the twice daily tablets. For a week I took 37.5mg tablet once a day. The following week, once every other day. Then once every three days and finally after a month of tapering, I came off without a hitch.

There's some good evidence for use in flush prevention but the decision is ultimately yours.

Good luck

Galadriel x