Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel Users  (Read 2600 times)

Stellajane

Oestrogel Users
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »

Just wondering how many of you oestrogel users have it prescribed by your GP.

Joyce

Re: Oestrogel Users
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »

Prior to changing to 2 years ago patches I was on oestrogel, prescribed by GP.

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »

I don't- so that's not much help I'm afraid, but what I thought might be worth mentioning is if they are refusing to prescribe due to cost issues, you could suggest they give you a private prescription - unless they object to using gel for some other reasons. I pay for my HRT  and the cost of Oestrogel is not much more than the NHS prescription fee.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »

I was put on Oestrogel by a Private Meno clinic back in the early 90s - I then used it through peri and post meno - so great because I only needed one pump per day through peri and upped it to just under 2 pumps when I felt I needed it post meno.  AFter the Clinic prescribed the Oestrogel I was able to get it from the GP. I had premature menopause so had to have HRT and all the HRTs the GP tried me on gave me nasty side effects.  If you look at the list of Oestrogens to the left of this screen it doesn't seem that expensive - I think GPs are generally not equipped or trained to deal with meno and the various treatments  - they just look in their little book and pick at random and often the cheapest.  Maybe the HRT treatments are set out in this book in a certain way and, unless they actively seek out alternative approaches to HRT treatment, it may not be something they will know about.  REading many of the posts on this site, so many women report that when they mention Oestrogel their GPs they simply don't know what it is!!!!!
I also one of the issues with using Oestrogel is the fact you have to use a separate progesterone and they maybe feel women won't like having to remember to use this.  It is so much easier to just have a pack of pills that you take everyday and they are set out in the order you take them.
DG x

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:31 AM »

I think that's a good point about 'compliance' DG.
I  know that my gynae doesn't give gel to all women because he thinks some can't be bothered with it, with varying the dose, or waiting for it to dry.

It's a very common form of HRT in France but the UK lags behind or has a different approach. I also think that UK drs ( not gynaes) are maybe not familiar with gel, or they are not confident or motivated enough to find out about the differing progestogen regimes that have to accompany it.