Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Red around the eyes  (Read 3435 times)

jgr

Red around the eyes
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »

Has anyone experienced this, my eyes look so tired all the time and around the eyelids and under the bottom lashes they are red. Not sore at all although sometimes the inner corner on one eye can get a bit itchy.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Red around the eyes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »

There is a medical condition which causes this, probably with a very long name  ::) ……….. my eyes itch a lot but don't get red …….. you could ask a Pharmacist next week?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »

There are all sorts of reasons for redness round the eyes - infections and allergies being among the main causes. Infection of the eyelids can be blepharitis, and conjunctivitis (redness of the eye itself) can be caused by infection or allergies. Or - maybe have you had something in the eye? Itchiness can be due to allergy or infection. Dry eyes can also cause itching and redness and is a symptom of menopause due to hormonal changes.

There is information on all these conditions on nhs website or patient.co.uk

I tend to suffer from red eyes intermittently and I never know whether it is infection or allergy - since I am allergic to cats and dust (we have a cat and lots of dust ;D), and seemed to be very susceptible to infections too. I used to work with children a lot and had my own at home, grown-up now - so doesn't seem to happen so much these days. Also had a cat (died last year) with permanent dribbly eye so maybe I kept getting it from the cat!!

You can get various eye drops or ointments depending on what the cause is!

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

jgr

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies, will speak to pharmacist next week CLKD.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »

Daughter's partner suffers with red eyes. He always gets it when he's run down. Also gets it during hay fever season. He just bathes them.

dulciana

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »

Mmm - that's got me thinking.  Does anyone have trouble with contact lenses at the moment?  If I'm tired or run down, mine can really irritate my eyes.  It often helps if I put them back in the solution for a few minutes but if I haven't had a very good sleep the night before, by the time I get home from work I'm desperate to take them out.   I wondered if this was a meno thing.   :-\
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:49:17 PM by dulciana »

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:03:52 PM »

Re the contact lens thing and irritation.
I wear lenses, I am extremely short sighted. Now my eyes are very often dry / irritated, often I take my lenses out and put my glasses on. Fortunately I've only had positive comments re the specs, phew....... But the thing is i am wearing my glasses more often.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »

My son, who is definitely not menopausal, has similar problems with contact lenses. He only wears them to special occasions as he's ready to tear his eyes out after just a few hours.