Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Care.data opt out?  (Read 3807 times)

sweatybet

Care.data opt out?
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

Ladies have you received your leaflet regarding care.data? Will you opt out?

honeybun

Re: Care.data opt out?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »

Sorry probably being thick but I have not a clue what it is.

Honeyb
x

jo61

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »

Honeybun if you put thebigoptout.com into your search engine it will give you the details, from what I understand if you haven't told your GP practice otherwise your medical records will automatically be shared with third parties.
They claim it will benefit you so they all have access to your medical history at first I thought it was a good idea but the more I have read the more sceptical I am and worry that my confidential records will be easily accessed by any johnny noddy. For now I think I will be opting out

sweatybet

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 04:22:28 PM »

It allows data from your gp medical records, date of birth, nhs number, postcode, as well as topics discussed and diagnosis to be uploaded and used to make money.  40% of GP's have said they will opt themselves and their families out.  To opt out you need to submit a form to your gp with the next 3-4 weeks.  Once data is uploaded it cannot be deleted.

Google care.data for more info.

Sb

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 04:33:32 PM »

I was really worried that I had not heard about this and now I know why.
I am in Scotland and its not happening up here.

If it was I would definitely opt out. It's a very unfair system. It should be an opt in option and not the opposite.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »

I can see that it is a good idea for future health care in terms of being able to plan ahead and also to find out what is and isn't working. It sounds very worrying but if what they say is correct and that your postcode, date of birth, NHS number and gender will be used to gather all the information from different areas, put into a new file with no identifying features at all, then the postcode etc. destroyed then I don't have a problem with it.  http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/records/healthrecords/Pages/care-data.aspx

It's all about trust though - very difficult to know what to do.

Taz x

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »

think there's a 6 month moratorium on this to give people more time to decide. I wish they'd come clean on what "third parties" mean, as I smell commercial interests!

Just heard Jeremy Hunt is planning to rush through a law giving him the right to close hospitals. Our local had just won a long, expensive legal judicial review (and appeal) against him, stopping him doing just that. He didn't consult as all the relevant parties were opposed, so the A&E closure was found to be in breach of the law.
So he just changes the law....... don't trust the govt with the NHS.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 05:25:29 PM »

Haven't had notification.  Did read this morning that it is Insurance Companies asking for information so that they can charge higher rates for medical, holiday and other insurances  :o

Sarah2

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:08 PM »

we have not had the letter. I don't think many people have- only about 30%.

I will def opt out. Every NHS/government computer system has proved not fit for purpose and there is no guarantee that the data is secure.
I know a bit about 'big data' and believe me, there is more sharing of it than anyone can imagine.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:08:32 PM »

If anyone wants to keep in touch with major issues like this and lend their voice to selected campaigns , then there is an amazing organisation some of you will have heard of - called 38 Degrees - which uses the power of the internet and social media to try to prevent laws such as the hospital closure law and the care data - from being passed. It relies on people power - signatures on petitions, and donations to fund its work.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/

It's excellent - sign up and you will get e-mails on all sorts of issues - and you can ignore those you don't want to sign, sign and share on facebook those that you do.

On their front page from the link above you will see that they are right now influencing the progress of the Care.data database.

Hurdity x