Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Tips to get through this  (Read 2874 times)

ladybird52

Tips to get through this
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »

Hi all, So I'm on countdown now and getting more nervous day by day till the date of my hysterectomy op.  Had the pre-assessment yesterday and I think my imagination is going into overdrive!  Any tips pre/post op from anybody having been through this please? Thanks very much.

Joyce

Re: Tips to get through this
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »

Long time since I had mine, but I was working right up until 2 days before plus two young children to keep me busy all the time.

If you've asked all your questions and can manage some relaxation, maybe even a nice massage, you will be fine. I was so thankful to be rid of constant pain & bleeding. I did my best to remain positive. Another lady I was in with was very anxious. We're all different.

anderina

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »

hi ladybird 52

haven't been through it yet- but can sympathise, mine is due 28 february so stress is rising am off work this week trying to get house organised but will be back at work until 2 days before

hope it all goes well for you (and me) hopefully it will be worth it!

love anderina xxxx

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:28:31 PM »

Fingers crossed for both of you!

mamakaren

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »

Hi Ladybird,

I had the complete hysterectomy last year and can give you some tips. Are you also removing your ovaries? If you are you can expect instant menopause and the joy of all the symptoms.

I didn't find the surgery or recovery to bad just the meno after effects. There are a few things they didnt tell me that I would have liked to have known. I didn't find the pain to be very bad except for the terrible gas pains for a few days post-op. Apparently the empty space fills up with air and caused me a bit of pain. I found it extremely helpful to walk as much as possible while in the hospital to help pass some of that gas. They wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I could pass gas.

Also bring comfy pants to wear home from hospital. I brought a pair of pants with a zipper and it was very painful to wear them as it rubbed on my incision.

I'm not really sure what kind of info you are looking for. If you have any specific questions pleas ask and I'll do my best to help!

Karen

ladybird52

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:17:13 PM »

Thanks everyone.  Anderina you'll be having yours 4 days before me so hope all goes well for you.  The wait is definitely the worse thing at the moment!