Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie Too with a Question  (Read 4830 times)

Living Life

• First Flush
Newbie Too with a Question
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:13:09 PM »

My GP told me about this site, I am glad to have found a good source for advice and reassurance.  Have been having night sweats, really badly but nothing during the day (yet), disrupted sleep, seem to wake up every hour or so which is now doing my head in and my other half's!!  My GP has suggested Red Clover - any opinions on this?  Also I had a Mirena Coil fitted to try and sort out very heavy and very irregular periods - wish I hadn't bothered with it so many side effects but have been told to persevere with it.  Thanks

lubylou

Re: Newbie Too with a Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »

:welcomemm:
I don't have personal experience of this but if you look at the non HRT therapies section of the website you should find info there
Lubylou

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
I spent a fortune on supplements and herbal remedies that are supposed to help with flushes and none of them worked for me.  As you already have a Mirena fitted you could just use some Oestrogel to reduce your symptoms.  Look under the heading 'HRT Preparations' to the left of this screen - print things off if need be and go back & ask for some oestrogen - most of us find it's the only thing that works. Just one pump per day of Oestrogel could make you feel much better.
Keep us posted about your progress.  DG x

Living Life

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »

Thank you very much for the replies, will go back and ask my GP.  Will keep you posted.

Living Life

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »

No joy with my request, told to persevere for the mean time as it's early days for me - am 45 been having night sweats for the past six months and it's driving me insane, not able to sleep, my poor other half thank goodness he's an understanding bloke because I've been awful to him taking his head off for no reason but he just gets on with it.  Trying to deal with it and work full time is cracking me up there are days I can hear myself being horrible and losing the plot over the most unimportant things!!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »

Oh Living Life - I am soooo angry on your behalf. Yet another lady with a GP who is stuck in the dark ages.  Go back and ask to be referred to a meno clinic.  Read up all the info on this site and print it off to show the GP if necessary.  Has he/she even done a blood test to look at the FSH level?  If your quality of life is being compromised the GPs attitude is simply not acceptable - Red Clover is unlikely to really help - did the GP give you a prescription for Red Clover? What evidence does he/she have to show this will cure your night sweats? I doubt it is on the NICE list of treatments for meno symptoms.  Sorry for the rant - just upset about the ignorance of some GPs.  DG x

Living Life

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »

I have bought the Red Clover but not noticed any differences yet, I will go back again and "plead" as this is turning my life upside down.  Thank you for the suggestion of printing the info off I will try that too.  The only thing I got offered was a sick line but I don't want to be off work as I don't think that will do any good right now as routine is making me do things if that makes sense if I was at home I would just have more time to stress!!  The only other thing the GP suggested was that research has shown that Soya products help!! 
As I said having an understanding and supportive other half is good not so sure my 19 yr old youngest son feels the same and the other 2 are probably glad they live away from home right now!! 
Thanks for the reply

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »

Hi Living Life

Like Dancinggirl I am angry and sad for you too.

The doctor is completely out of order in not letting you have HRT for your symptoms, if there is no medical reason why you should not. It is your absolute right to have this.

I just wondered how frequent your periods were before you had the Mirena coil? If they were becoming irregular and you were missing some then this is a sure sign (combined with your symptoms) that you are well into the menopausal transition.

The fact that you have a Mirena makes it easier to replace the oestrogen because the Mirena will keep your womb lining thin. Perhaps you have fibroids that were causing the heavy bleeding and this is why the doctor is reluctant to prescribe? Even so the Mirena should help with this.

Please go back and you should not have to plead. Sounds like you might have to insist. Is there another doc in the practice who is more up-to-date, and amenable re HRT that you could go to see instead?

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hurdity x

Living Life

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »

Yet another appointment at GP and told this time to read up on the benefits of Soya products and wait a few weeks and "see if things settle".  I had the mirena Coil fitted due to periods being so irregular and then when they did come so heavy that it was making everyday life difficult.  The night sweats are awful tho and meaning that neither of us are getting a decent nights sleep, so lack of sleep on top of mood swings not a good combination for either of us!!  I am thinking of trying another GP to see if I can get some more help.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »

Definitely change GPs or insist on a referral.  No amount of soya is going to help you with such severe symptoms.  DG x

Rosey4

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:37 AM »

I was wanting to ask if anyone out there is on Angeliq hrt because I am thinking of trying this for menopause. I don't think the northistone prog agrees with me too much really sore breasts bloated ness ect. Or what about the patches? Are they less side effects?? If anyone out there can advice i would be ever so grateful thank you so much. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »

Hi and Welcome Rosey4
Have you introduced yourself under 'New Members' in the Forum section & given a little background e.g. your age and stage of your menopause. It's probably a good idea to start your own thread with questions other wise specific threads go off at a tangent.
To try to answer your question: You are obviously on HRT already - it would help if we knew which one you are on - are you peri or post meno?. I tried Angelic and found I got the same side effects you are describing.
Transdermal HRT like Patches can bring fewer side effects so may be well worth trying but if you are progesterone intolerant you could have the same problem. If you want to stick with pills I know many ladies do well on Femiston as the progesterone is kinder.
Another option which suits many is Oestrogel to oestrogen patches with Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) used either continuously or sequentially - this is the most natural form of HRT.
Have a look under 'HRT Preparations' under the headings to the left of this screen.  There are quite a few options so it's good to gather the info and then do a post with questions.  DG x