Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: no change in symptoms after 20 years  (Read 9353 times)

Winterose

Re: no change in symptoms after 20 years
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »

My Gp upped my dose on patches form 75 to 100 . I was still getting some flushes and she said lets get rid of them by upping the dose ----- was a bit anxious but now 8 months later - no flushes and feel really good,mild anxiety has gone too, I have been on hrt for 7 years.

Rosebush

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »

Morning Ladies, having tried a few HRT tabs, with no change at all, I then tried the patches, Everol Conti made me feel sick with bad headaches, did read on hear its the prog content, that causes this....so GP put me on Femseven Conti 50 different prog, and no sickness or bad head, so stayed on them, sadly 50 is the highest dose, so cannot increase dosage..as far as I know there are only 2 patches, did think about asking for his advice on estrogen gel, wondered if a 'pump' form would just give me that added bit, but scared on raising the subject to much, due to being 65 in the Summer, don't want him to suggest I stop HRT, I just could not cope with sweats 24/7 again..

I have tried 3 times to come off HRT, just stopping and then cutting bits of patches, as soon as I get to 1/2 patch the sweats come back, my last try I did make it to 19 days, but I was a wreak, so put patch back on, it took a further 9 days to get day sweats to stop, when they did, it was like winning the Lotto....now when I get the odd daytime hot flush, I can feel its trying to 'break out' into a full blown sweat, but the HRT seems to stop it!

W.R was so pleased to read you are free of them.. :-*

lubylou

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »

I get so upset and angry that our lives can be made miserable because we are denied the opportunity to use our own intelligence to make a decision about the quality of life we have. Other medications are prescribed even though they carry risks and side effects but somehow HRT is in a class of its own. Why?

I think it is positively medieval to let women suffer when there is a remedy (HRT) available. Now we all have to work much longer how can it be a level playing field if at 60 women are denied HRT which makes life “do able” for all those extra working years past 60.

Lubylou

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 08:12:55 PM »

That's just it - I couldn't cope with the work I do without HRT ie with flushes, pelvic aches and the like - even if the symptoms eventually went eg after a year, I would not be good at my job while it was happening. I think that is the same for most of us now the pension age has changed and the research/medical profession needs to catch up with this!

Hurdity x

wombat62

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »

Haven't posted for a while but this is exactly my views. If you start with meno early and they expect you to work until you are nearly 70 but take away your work-life-saving drugs then how are you supposed to cope?
All that will happen is ladies in their 60's will get the sack because they can't perform their jobs then it will cost the country more because then they'll have to claim benefits!

When I saw the gynae a couple of years ago, even though he was older man he was very modern in his views and was quite happy for ladies to stay on it if needed and know the risks. However, you are right about other drugs and interestingly I know some people are being pulled off statins because of the side effects. Problem is if you are constantly taking drugs for blood pressure and statins how do you know what your under lying natural levels are doing? 

My doc initially only said 3 years for HRT and I've gone past that but I'm not that old for meno so hopefully there won't be a problem until I'm 60 because I have a suspicion I'm going to be one of those people who will always have the flushes and sweats. If I'm stressed or worried they show up again despite the HRT...grrrrr!

They seem quite happy to stuff older people with all sorts of drugs to keep them going but not HRT. Even a low dose, if it didn't get rid of them totally would help a bit and make it a tad easier to cope. If you eat healthily, keep hydrated, take some exercise, keep up with the screening then that would minimise some of the risks?

Ok rant over :)

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »

Usually HRT will still be prescribed over sixty but you do have to say that you accept the risks. I feel that the fact that even amongst meno consultants there is such a difference of opinion just makes us more worried and unsure of what to do. I don't think they have any idea how horrible you can feel while having all the symptoms and even if we don't have to work why should we just subside in a puddle of tearful sweatiness for the rest of our lives?

I'm just starting month seven without HRT and this week there seems to have been a slight change in the number of sweats but I haven't been at work so maybe that's the difference - less stress?

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2]