Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena, Oestrogel, anxiety and period pain...help!  (Read 6494 times)

Tealady12

Mirena, Oestrogel, anxiety and period pain...help!
« on: January 19, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »

Hi Everyone

I've had the mirena coil for almost 2 years to help with very heavy and painful periods. About 6 months ago I was put on Oestrogel as am peri menopausal, I'm 45. The first month I used the Oestrogel I had a light period after not having any bleeding for about a year - due to the coil I guess. I find that every 3-4 weeks I get really very anxious, dry mouth, palpitations, gloomy thoughts, my boobs get bigger and tender and I sometimes have period pain but no period.  Am guessing the addition of the oestrogen means my body is trying to have a period but doesn't due to the hormones levels. The last blood test I had showed very low oestrogen and very high FSH.  I can cope with the period pain, it's fairly mild compared to how it used to be, but it's the anxiety I find so hard. I can feel OKish for a couple of weeks and then am tearful, low and down. I was prescribed escitalopram about 3 years ago for the anxiety, but every few weeks it feels like they stop working at all! I know this is probably the all powerful hormones, but just need some reassurance I'm not going mad! Thank you and a Happy New Year to All.  :)

mamakaren

Re: Mirena, Oestrogel, anxiety and period pain...help!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »

Hi Tealady,

I don't know much about the coil I am in meno due to hysterectomy! But I just wanted to welcome you and assure you that you are not crazy!!! Many of us struggle with the same symptoms you mention!

Hope you are well! :)

Karen

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »

Hi Tealady and welcome to MM
I had a Mirena for 4 and a half years but I was already post meno when this was fitted.  It sounds to me that your own hormones are still kicking in each month and this may be causing your anxiety/moods etc.  Through peri meno the hormones do tend to fluctuate and you obviously suffered the heavy periods that are a typical peri symptom and the Mirena is good for helping with this.  Break through bleeding happens now and again.
Unfortunately the Mirena has a synthetic progesterone that can cause PMT type symptoms however it is claimed that most women don't get side effects because it is so localised - however, some women are affected by this progesterone in the Mirena.
How much Oestrogel are you using?  At your age I was only using one pump per day - effectively topping up the oestrogen my body needed through peri.
Maybe discuss the option of removing the Mirena and try using Utrogestan instead.  Utrogestan is bio-identical so most ladies get less side effects.  If you are still peri you will need to use contraception as well.
Another option: perhaps have the Mirena removed and stop the Oestrogel for a month, have a blood test to see where you are at in your menopause and then start fresh with the Oestrogel and Utrogestan. I did this in my mid 40s and it was very helpful in sorting out what I should take next. Hopefully others will be along with advice soon.  DG x

Tealady12

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:41:30 PM »

Thank you mamakaren and dancinggirl and sorry for the lateness of my thanks! Dealing with a new puppy as well as everything else at the moment! Yes I probably am bonkers to have her, but she is lovely and giving me another focus.
The symptoms I have do seem cyclical. I did try Utrogestan a couple of years ago before I had the mirena but it made my anxiety and tearfulness a lot worse. Perhaps I should try it again after I've had the mirena for the usual 4 years. Don't know what would be worse- the peri symptoms or the return of heavy painful periods. Tend to use one pump of Oestrogel though still do forget on some days.
Thanks again ladies x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »

tell us more about your puppy !

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »

If you are not using the Oestrogel regularly this could cause problems - you really need to use it properly. If you don't use the Oestrogel everyday at the same time your body won't be getting the right dose and this could be why you get dips in mood.  Also you may need to look at your diet as eating regularly to keep sugar levels in balance can help with mood swings. 
I love dogs - what type of dog have you got.  How is the house training going?  DG x

Tealady12

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »

Thank you, yes I need to remember the Oestrogel everyday. Perhaps I'd be better with a patch??
Mood is low at the moment and I'm very tired, though think some of that tiredness is the puppy!

Pup is a choc brown cocker spaniel, she's the working type but not from actual working parents and she won't be a working dog. She is very lively and lots of fun, but I feel like I've got a toddler again! We've had her 2 weeks now and she's settled in well so far.  House training not going that well, about 30% outdoors, 70% indoors! mind you the weather isn't helping and she's only 10 weeks old.
Hope everyone staying safe and warm in this awful weather. Xx

Sarah2

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:17:11 PM »

Might it help to have a routine for the Oestrogel?

I use Oestrogel and have a routine- shower, teeth clean, face cleanse and Oestrogel. Pretty much the same at night (I split the dose). If I don't follow my routine then I can forget.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »

I agree with Sarah2.  As I always had a shower before bedtime, I used to put the oestrogel on first thing in the morning and allow 5-10 mins before getting up and getting dressed.
Tealady find a good routine that works for you.  If you are feeling really tired (which is common at this time of year) why not take some Vitamin D - we are often deficient of Vit D by the end to the winter due t lack of sunlight (the best source of VitD) and it's important for mood and energy.
The weather couldn't be worse for house training - how tough.  She'll get there in the end.  The first year of any dogs life is challenging but think how beneficial it's going to be to have a dog to walk and keep you fit.  DG x