Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Living alone  (Read 1382 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Living alone
« on: November 15, 2021, 04:38:03 PM »

On from a comment PF made earlier: about living alone after a bereavement.

There are various places to find company.  UA-what ever it's called.  Volunteering.  Reading with school children under supervision.  Dog walking.  Pet sitting.

It's the feeling of being needed that many people miss. 

Church/chapel groups?  Scouts?  It really depends on how old one happens to be. 

Sheds for men.  A reading group ........... it's scary putting that first foot into the Big Wide World!

Ju Ju

Re: Living alone
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 09:55:49 AM »

I have several friends who’s partners have died. Bereavement is not something you recover from. With time, hopefully, you work round it, accommodate it and live with it. It becomes less all consuming. But you are not just grieving for the loss of a partner, but the loss of who you were with that person and of a way of life and for some, the difficulties of financial issues. The loss of confidence can be overwhelming. Asking for help is difficult whether practically or emotionally. In my choir, we have several bereaved ladies. They have supported each other, as well as support from the rest of us. Lockdown was horrendous for them. We organised regular zoom calls and phoned each other. I always check whether one friend is ok at Christmas and whether she would welcome to come and be with us.  No pressure. She has no close family. Definitely reaching out to others helps, joining groups and discovering new interests. It’s never too late to pursue something new, learn to play an instrument, sing, paint, study, whatever floats your boat. But only when you feel ready.

sheila99

Re: Living alone
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 12:48:29 PM »

It depends on age and mobility too. We're at an age when we can still get out and about but if you're 90 and struggle to walk or use a computer it's much harder.