Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: op appointment!  (Read 5100 times)

anderina

op appointment!
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »

hello ladies
not posted for a while but have been reading everyone elses!
just got appointment for hysterectomy - 28 february
i am now nervous and worrying about outcome and how long to expect being off work?
all encouragement welcome please!!
i am 54 post meno
thankyou

anderina xxxx

Taz2

Re: op appointment!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »

Hi anderina - it's normal to be nervous but try to keep in mind how much better you will feel afterwards.

Which type of hyster are you having done? I think recovery times are different between abdominal and vaginal.

Taz x  :hug:

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »

I had abdominal one done & was off work for around 6 weeks.  Initially after op had PCA. Great stuff - morphine on tap. But after 24 hours put on oral pain killers. Suffered badly with constipation to start with too, but back to normal soon after. Mine was done over 20 years ago, so I expect things have moved on somewhat. Expect some discomfort afterwards, but the sooner you get yourself on your feet the better. No spring cleaning though, that's a definite no-no. Good luck.  :)

Anjia

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 12:19:41 PM »

I had my op a TAH fourteen months ago try to not worry to much the waiting is the worse part! You will be fine expect to have lots of bed rest for the first two weeks just remember its a big op and you have to take care of yourself.Look for the website Hystersisters its brilliant and will tell you everything you need to no. Apart from a small hitch with my hrt I feel so much better good luck x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »

Surely you will have been told when you had the Consultant what to expect  >:( ……. my friend had enough wind to fly a kite after hers  ::) ………… I would have a word with my Practice Nurse before surgery to see what I can expect before, during recovery and after.  Are you keeping your ovaries?

You will need to tell your workplace ASAP ………

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »

Forgot about the wind. I took extra strong mints into hospital with me. Worked a treat. When I had first C section I was given peppermint water  :sick02: Hospital were happy enough for me to chomp my way through mints.  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »

I had peppermint tea after surgery which worked really well

myra

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 03:57:30 PM »

I didn't have a hysterectomy, but I do know that a definite side effect of the surgery can be wind!!   Because of the air that is put in to inflate the area.  They do take as much as they can out, but I know from experience now that it doesn't all come out!!   I wakened up during the night and my stomach was full of wind, restricting my breathing and I had to take my inhalor and also took Smints, that I was lucky to have in my bag!!  They did help.  So definitely take mints!!

I had a bilateral salpingo oopherectomy and my gp automatically gave me a 6 week line, so I'd imagine for a hysterectomy it would be longer.

anderina

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 06:34:34 PM »

thankyou for all your replies
have told work they are being fine about it
i haven't been told much about what is going to happen and when - maybe i should have asked more questions?
the last thing that was mentioned was a vaginal procedure but that may change when they start :-\

never thought about wind will have to remember the mints!

believe it or not i am even worrying about being at home and not being able to do things!!

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »

I've put mine off for two years now but have got an appointment on the 19th of this month to finally, properly talk about it with the gynae so I know how you are feeling!!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »

Ring the Secretary of the Dept.!

Put foods into the freezer, buy lots of tinned stuff for quick meals and make sure you don't lift anything heavier than a Kleenex. I was told not to lift even the kettle after my appendicectomy  ::) for 6 weeks

Annika

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »

Best wishes to you Anderina and as some of the other ladies mentioned Hystersisters is a fab website where you can get all the info to prepare before your op, not sure what I would have done without all the help i had on that site when i had mine done 2 years ago. Hope you have some help at home afterwards your going to need it while you rest and recover and try not to overdo,let the housework,etc., go and take care of yourself. I have no regrets it was the best thing for me only wish i had done it sooner. Take care xxx

anderina

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

I have taken a week off work next week to do a bit of cleaning and prep - at least that is the plan!!

Been on hystersisters - is it american? - lots of pre op advice

This sounds like a silly question but at 54 post meno will i get any more meno symptoms after op (don't get a lot now mostly va)
I'm such a worrywort!!

Anderina xxx

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »

I don't think it will affect your meno symptoms anderina. Are you keeping your ovaries? Even when we are post meno they still produce a small amount of oestrogen.

You could also try the UK Hysterectomy Association although it can be a bit quiet on the forum http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »

Windeeze tablets are really very good too.

After a C section the heaviest thing you are told to lift is a baby  ;D

Honeyb
x