Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Still Bleeding  (Read 5046 times)

toffeecushion

Still Bleeding
« on: December 15, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »

I know I have posted about this before - sorry to go on about it, but it is worrying me now.

My last period was 3 weeks late and I have been bleeding since then.  Its been about 5 weeks now and is starting to worry me.  It started of very light but has slowly got worse.  It shows no sign of letting up.

Please, if you have experienced this let me know that it is 'normal' and that it will stop.

I went to my doctor who has referred me for a scan, but doesn't seem too concerned and I am going back to see a different doctor tomorrow as mine has gone on holiday.

Any advise or experiences would be appreciated, thanks.

Jane44

Re: Still Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:02 AM »

Hi there
Try not worry I am sure this is very normal my friend bled for nearly three months on and off mainly heavy was booked in for ablation on the 15/11 and the week before it stopped and it hasn't started again phew !!! She had decided to cancel the ablation and wait and see .
Have you had any medication and have they checked your ferretin ??
Don't panic this journey is all about expecting the unexpected am sure people will be along soon to reassure you too . Take care

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »

Ten weeks was my longest one - for two years they lasted for three days, six weeks, ten weeks. What exactly are you worried about - do you have a specific fear?  I found it was a nuisance more than anything else. The periods were painful though and I did ruin a mattress at a B&B once due to overnight unexpected flooding.

You have been referred for a scan which is good - I am not sure that your doc will be able to do anything different until you have the scan. If you are given medication to stop the bleeding then the scan wont be "true" if you know what I  mean. It will be helpful to see your womb as it naturally is without any medication changing things.

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:53:41 AM »

Thanks for replying.

I don't want any medication to stop it, I just want reassurance that all is ok and that it is normal.  I think I will ask for a blood test to check my iron levels.

My main worry is that we fly to Florida on Christmas Day and I am worried that the bleeding is something more than a long period and I will be taken ill while in Florida or that my iron levels will get so low that I am ill on holiday.  I think if I wasn't going away it would be easier to deal with and I wouldn't be as worried.

You hear about periods stopping or becoming lighter and heavier but not so much about them getting longer.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »

I understand - it is worrying when it first happens. My iron levels were not affected by the bleeding which surprised me. How heavy is the bleeding - are you going through towels and tampons in a couple of hours or is it fairly light? I can see your worry about being away and being taken ill but your iron levels would have to suddenly drop dramatically for this to happen. Have you got any symptoms of anaemia at the moment i.e. muscle cramps, extreme tiredness, shortness of breath or hair falling out? Are you away for a long time?  Sorry - so many questions!  :)

Taz x

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »

It started really light, more spotting really and has gradually got worse.  It doesn't seem as bad as a period (mine are quite heavy) but there are quite a lot of clots and some seem big and I have had the occasional gush .  I don't have any signs of anemia, but all this blood loss must take its toll. 

I am worried that it is something other than a long period, even my doctor said I was a little young to be starting the menopause (I'm 47), but I know, after reading this site that I am not young at all.

ellie66

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »

Toffee lots of here are perimenopusal at 47! Myself and Devonhil are 2 of those so you are definitely not too young!

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »

Clotting is good toffeecushion - although it feels horrible when a big one breaks away it shows that your clotting mechanism is working as it should be.

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »

Gosh I can remember those, it felt like I was giving birth to lumps of liver with the birth pains too ::) it is all part and parcel the transition though.

Mary1962

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »

It is worrying when your pattern changes and periods go on for longer and a lot heavier, you have my sympathy as someone else finding it very hard time of life.  My record has been nearly 4 weeks of almost always flooding.  I get 8 weeks gaps between cycles now, a slow start and then the flood gates open.  I know it's just because my oestrogen must be really high and the other hormones are not kicking in to give the signal to shed it all.  Had one scan and just waiting for a follow up one though as first one showed small but OK fibroid but the lining of my womb was of irregular thickness which I hope was due to the prolonged build up but they want to check.  Don't assume you might not be anaemic as sometimes hard to tell - it took legs like jelly and palpitations and breathlessness for me to ask for a blood test and my ferritin level (your iron stores) was 8 and while I wasn't anaemic at that stage you can still feel pretty awful. I was also getting twitchy legs at night. So had to supplement with iron, most I've managed to get my ferritin up to is 23.  I hate the changes to my cycle but it is just what it is and hopefully will shuffle off soon  ::)  The knowledge, experience, advice and lovely support on here helps.

Annika

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »

It does happen to many ladies but its not good to let it go for too long and my final period last six months and just wouldn't stop, by that time i was ill and very anemic. I changed doctors and found a wonderful doctor who agreed to get me in fast for a hysterectomy thank goodness which was best for me but i know there are so many other options also. Please don't leave it to long before seeking or insisting on an solution to the problem before you become ill. Sorry don't want to worry you but bleeding endlessly for months is not normal and does take its toll on your health. Big hugs xx
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:06:57 PM by Annika »