Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Constantly frozen  (Read 4304 times)

Joyce

Constantly frozen
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:19:35 PM »

Feel like a hypochondriac these days.

I am constantly feeling cold. I've been feeling like this for about 4/5 months. On return from my holidays, I went to doctors & had various bloods done including full blood count, thyroid test, U's & E's, another too check for any infection. All came back clear. During recent trip to asthma nurse, she wanted me to keep a check on pulse as it was too high - well BP usually high at doctors. Been checking BP & pulse for last two weeks & its around 121/72 so ok. Pulse been in the mid 70s. I can't help but feel there's more to feeling this cold. I'm currently wrapped up in several layers, a scarf, plus a blanket. Heating is on. Temp is ok at 35.7.  Only way I can get warm is to have hot bath,twice a day sometimes.

In the past I've had alternate flushes & chills. But I'm cold all the time, except when I've had a bath. Am I just suffering with usual meno stuff or not? I'm on HRT.

Sorry if I seem to be constantly whining.  :-\

honeybun

Re: Constantly frozen
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:26:55 PM »

I remember posting about this not so long ago. I don't know the answer CG but for me it seems to be linked to how tired I am and my activity level. If I am moving about I am generally ok but sitting down seems to chill me very quickly.

If you have had all your bloods done and everything is ok then I'm not sure what to suggest.

My mother swears that as you get older your blood gets thinner  ::) and therefore you feel the cold more. Hence when you step into her house a solid wall of heat meets you. I give her an extra jumper and turn it down otherwise I spend half my time out in the garden. I don't even get daytime flushes, it's just far too hot for me.

Have you asked your doctor about this. It could be a circulatory problem.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:45:54 PM »

Dr said she hasn't got the foggiest. Feel like I'm getting old before my time. Hubby sits sweating in a T-shirt. I didn't used to be like this.  Hubby says house is like a sauna. Got heating set to Max of 22.5, hardly sauna like. Maybe he's got the problem, not me.

My mum used to say the older we get, the thinner our blood becomes too, hence the elderly feeling the cold more. Only 57, so hardly elderly.  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

I know I don't feel like any exercise at the moment but have you found when you are more active you warm up ?

It takes me ages to feel warm when I am sitting about but when the Hoover gets an outing then I am fine.

It's not helped in here by hubby turning down the heating when he leaves a room. His reasoning is why heat an empty room  ::). When I go in the kitchen it's bloomin freezing.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:56:02 PM »

You could check that your thyroid function test was 'normal' because sometimes results come back borderline so more tests should be run.

Does Raynauds syndrome run in your family?  Make sure that your neck/shoulders are well covered, wear WOOL products not synthetics and layer your clothing.  Have a good layer of clothing around your hips and thighs which helps to keep the lower legs and feet warmer.  WOOL socks.  Good slippers.  If necessary wrap a duvet or wooly blanket around you.  In one house I constantly had a woolly blanket around my shoulders as I felt the cold due to no brown fat on the back of my neck. I also sat with my back to the radiator on the landing as that was our warmest spot int hat house.

There are good wicking layers on the market, look in the cycling/walking shops - the products may seem expensive but they wash and wear extremely well.  DH has started wearing long johns as his feet have been cold.  He has several different makes for cycling and we tend to layer when we go for walks.

A blow heater towards your toes can help whilst sitting, warming from the feet upwards.  Also sitting with feet on a thick blanket in the evenings can stop draughts reaching the lower limbs.  Sheepskin wool rugs to sit on or wrap around your shoulders are useful.  If necessary wear a woolly hat inside, I've been known in cold weather not to take mine off, even getting into the bath with it on  ;D

I have used hot baked potatoes in a tea-towel to keep hands warm.  It can be put into the fridge for lunch the next day ;-)

Hoovering can keep the blood circulating.  Brisk walking out of the wind.  Skipping?  Feeling cold can sap energy levels so making sure you keep hydrated; Bovril drinks, Hot chocolate, tea, soups ………

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »

All good advice ladies. Thanks. I do do all these things. Always worst in afternoon. Just not used to feeling so blooming cold. Thyroid was absolutely fine CLKD. I do wrap lots round me, got on 3 layers just now. Did eventually thaw out. I wear long cosy socks too, along with ugg type slippers.

Had to go to son's place tonight to drop off supplies to them. They've both caught flu & nobody fit to go to supermarket. I was in & out in about 3 minutes wasn't hanging about their bugs. Hubby would have gone, but as I've had flu jab it was more sensible that I went. Pair of them are shivering, so put my chills in perspective.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

Worse in the afternoon ......... do you drink plenty of warm fluids in the morning?

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »

Exactly the same! I wear a fleece top almost right through summer whilst everyone else is looking at me in astonishment and hubby is either topless or in a thin T. I also have a duvet over me through summer, where as he has a sheet, it could be a meno thing, my thyroid is underactive but I have always been like this, feel the cold terribly and it goes right through to my bones, also feels like its something else, but what :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »

Reynaud's ……… ?

I have been cold recently so have stood in front of a blow heater allowing the warmth to move up my body …… job done!