Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Ovestin 1mg cream versus vaginal tablets  (Read 274 times)

Callisto

Ovestin 1mg cream versus vaginal tablets
« on: May 02, 2024, 05:24:34 PM »

Hi Folks,
Wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Having always received a prescription for Ovestin 1mg cream this time on receiving what I thought was a repeat prescription I have been given Estradiol 10 micrograms vaginal tablets  :o
I am wary. I don’t know what the difference is & don’t know why my GP has sent these instead, assume they’re cheaper. I don’t like to rock the boat when body is used to the cream. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this difference.
Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
🤔🐾

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ovestin 1mg cream versus vaginal tablets
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 07:56:49 PM »

There are several threads on the Forum: apparently 'ovestin' has been rebranded though many surgeries are still prescribing/repeating.  I think it will depend on when their supplies run out in each locality.

Suggest that you speak to a pharmacist in the morning?

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 09:50:53 PM »

They both do the same job. You have either got caught up with the confusion that is surrounding the name change of Ovestin to Estriol, or there has simply been a mix up. But either way you would need to discuss with your GP practise to change your prescription back to the cream if that's what you are used to and would prefer.

AngelaH

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 10:04:52 PM »

I don’t know what the difference is

Ovestin contains estriol and vaginal tablets estradiol. They are both estrogens, but estradiol is the strongest one.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 09:44:04 AM »

I don’t know what the difference is

Ovestin contains estriol and vaginal tablets estradiol. They are both estrogens, but estradiol is the strongest one.

This is not quite true. There are two types of receptors in the vagina for oestrogen - (from memory as I'm going out!) alpha and beta. One of these - estradiol has greater affinity than estriol but the other one, estriol has greater affinity for or at least as good. Research has shown that there is an equal effect on the vaginal tissues from estriol or estradiol as the doses prescribed. Apologies I don't have time to find the paper or quote correctly.

Therefore it is a matter of preference and the preparation, and medium used for the different oestrogens and whichever works best for you.

Hurdity x

AngelaH

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2024, 10:31:06 AM »

This is not quite true.
Hurdity x

Estrone (E1) is the main type of estrogen present in the body after menopause, made primarily in adipose tissue. Estradiol (E2) is the strongest estrogen, made by the ovaries and present in the body before menopause. Estriol (E3) is the weakest estrogen, present in the body primarily during pregnancy

https://www.va.gov/WHOLEHEALTHLIBRARY/tools/estrogen-dominance.asp#:~:text=Estrone%20(E1)%20is%20the%20main,the%20body%20primarily%20during%20pregnancy.

But because you don’t trust Americans  ;), here is Britaninica for you.

Estriol, the weakest of the estrogens, is formed from both estrone and estradiol.
https://www.britannica.com/science/estrogen

I personally can’t take any Estradiol products because of that reason, Estradiol is too strong for my body. Doctors call that hormonal sensitivity, with no explanation why and how it happens. So I have to work it out myself.

I mentioned on this forum before, Gina, which contains Estradiol nearly killed me, but  Blissel Estriol gel makes magical good things to me. The same thing happens, when I use estrogel and Wellsprings on skin, estrogel (Estradiol) makes me ill (it causes symptoms like I have too much estrogen in my body, despite the estrogen level is extremely low) and Wellsprings (estriol) makes me feel good and happy.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 10:34:34 AM by AngelaH »

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 08:09:50 AM »

Hi there

Thanks AngelaH. I was responding to Callisto's query enquiring about the difference between the two vaginal preparations, and as such my reply addressed that - in relation to the efficacy of the two. They are both equally effective in the licensed doses due to the differential affinity to oestrogen receptors in the vagina, and my response was not intended as a comment on the role of estriol and estradiol in the rest of the body.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 08:22:49 AM »

:thankyou:  Hurdity

AngelaH

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 02:10:11 PM »

Hi there

in relation to the efficacy of the two. They are both equally effective in the licensed doses due to the differential affinity to oestrogen receptors in the vagina, and my response was not intended as a comment on the role of estriol and estradiol in the rest of the body.

Hurdity x

You are always welcome!

To understand the difference between 2 products we need to refer to basic human anatomy and physiology. The main difference is made by the main active ingredient. Each product contains different type of estrogen. One  product contains the strongest type of estrogen - Estradiol and another contains the weakest type of estrogen - Estriol. So for those, who need stronger estrogen to treat VA, Estriol may not will help, just because is too weak for their bodies, they more likely will need Estradiol. And the opposite, for those, who don’t need strong estrogen, will more likely to find Estriol more than enough to treat VA symptoms.

The vagina is one of the parts of the humans body and I just gave you an example how Estradiol and Estriol may have different effects on the body, totally depending on the individual body needs.

I hope you understand now what I am talking about.  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 03:02:21 PM by AngelaH »