Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dealing with anxiety  (Read 15743 times)

honeybun

Re: Dealing with anxiety
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:19 PM »

Well done you. Next thing will be a marathon  ;D

The blood pressure results are impressive....anxiety is such a flamin rotten thing but everything you read says physical activity is a big part of the road to conquering it.....so keep walking.
Just wish I had the energy   ::)

Honeyb
X

bramble

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »

Have fallen off the path this last month regarding the walking. Is my anxiety up - yes. Am starting again tomorrow. Yes I am, for definite. Will aim for 5000 steps a day, at least 5 days a week. That is 2 and a half miles a day. Not quite the 10000 steps the NHS shout on about. But a start.

Have also just started going to a Stress Class. Run by the NHS and is once a week for 6 weeks. Looks promising so far. A course devised by a chap called Jim White.
Jim is an internationally-recognised expert in stress management. Aware that health-care organisations were seeing only the tip of the iceberg in terms of those suffering from stress and, therefore, unable to do any significant preventative or early intervention work, he devised Stress Control over twenty years ago as an attempt to improve outcomes for individuals while, at the same time, hugely improving efficiency by offering evidence-based help to many more people than individual approaches would allow. At the time, this was a highly unusual approach but peer-reviewed research and evaluation showing that efficiency and effectiveness could be improved upon, the class has become widely available across the world. Jim has presented at many national and international conferences and events and acted as a National Advisor to the Scottish Government. He is involved with the European Union on how to develop mental health services across Europe using interventions, including Stress Control, he has devised.

Bramble
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:49:47 PM by bramble »

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 07:27:16 PM »

Well done Bramble :)

You must feel a real sense of empowerment. Well done. Positive stories like yours are so good to read.

My anxiety arrived out of the blue on the back of other peri menopausal symptoms like insomnia and low mood. The only other time in my life I have experienced like it was when I had PND. So I quickly guessed my hormones were to blame again.

My CBT counsellor actively advised against trying to 'fight' anxiety, or even trying to distract yourself from it. He said that by trying to fight it you were just raising your stress levels even more and further reinforcing it into your subconscious that the anxiety was something to be scared of.

Same with trying to distract yourself from anxiety. You're just showing your subconscious that the anxiety is a real threat to you and must be avoided, or run away from.

Apparently, it's better to just accept the anxiety and carry on anyway. Almost in defiance of it. My counsellor told me to talk to my anxiety, like it was a real person i.e. 'Oh, hello, so you're here again. Well, you're not going to stop me from going for this walk/making this phone call/going to the store. I know you're going to make my stomach churn and my brain race, but I'm still going ahead anyway okay. So you can stay with me if you want, but there's not much point'

I also used to imagine my anxiety as a real person. I gave it really stupid hair and unflattering clothes and horrible shoes, and in personalizing it into a figure of fun it seemed to diminish my anxiety and make it seem less frightening somehow. I imagined it doing stupid things like tripping up as it tried to walk along with me, or spilling stuff down itself as it sat next to me in a café, and generally just being clumsy and annoying.

I made fun of it in my head. Sounds crazy, but it worked.

honeybun

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »

I totally agree, fighting anxiety never works.

I try to tell myself that not once has anything bad ever happened. I have not fainted or crashed the car or thrown up in public. So the probability is I never will. I try just to let the feelings come and then go without giving in to the urge to run away.
I still have a few things to conquer such as going out for a meal and also potential hospital visiting but it's a work in progress and I have seen some little improvements.

Honeybun
X
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]