Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anaemia  (Read 5202 times)

Smokey

Anaemia
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:05:29 PM »

Just got up the courage to contact my ms nurse got an appointment and had routine blood test, whilst I was there, so if all ok I can try taking Amentadine to see if it helps with my fatigue. Got results and they show I'm anaemic !
Felt so bad whilst on holiday in October first thing in morning and before tea no energy in evening I was convinced in was due to my ms fatigue making me feel so bad,  can't believe doc didn't request on form for my iron to be tested at same time as my thyroid, last test was aug 2012, was ok then so don't know how long I've been low for, and I've been eating lots of watercress, brockerly etc etc. So now waiting for prescription for iron pills too! Yippee I will be ratterling soon.  Not sure how I'll fit them in thyroxin in early morning then maybe iron tabs after 12pm not sure how many i will have to take but I know you can't take them same time.  I've now also got vit D tabs now 1000ius but doc doesn't prescribe them.

Taz2

Re: Anaemia
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »

How annoying that this was tested for before but at least you have a treatable reason for your worsening fatigue Smokey. Don't forget to steer clear of tea when you take you iron tablets - can't remember how long you have to leave between drinking it and the iron tablets but I know tea stops the absorption.

Have you been referred for any tests to see why you are anaemic? I had to have an endoscopy to make sure that the stomach lining was ok but that might be because I was 55 which seems to be a magic number as far as the NHS is concerned  ;D

Taz x

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:52:52 PM »

Hi Taz no reason given yet, but maybe it could be the omprezole? Or Asprin but only took that for a couple of months.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »

Hi Smokey
Good thing you are taking Vit D.  I used to give dance classes and I had 2 GPs in my class - in between dance routines we would have little chats and energy levels came up in the conversation - both GPs said they prescribed Vit D to people complaining of fatigue as a study had shown that a lack of Vit D(particularly in winter) can be a factor.  They now know that Vit D has many other benefits e.g. supporting the immune system etc.  - I'm sure there will be info somewhere on the web about this study done a few years ago.
Eggs are a good source of iron - maybe up the number you eat for a little while?
Hope you feel better soon.  DG x

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

Get this delivered too my inbox

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »

Thanks Taz for that link I've spent ages reading it, it's interesting to say the least, especially about the big rise of ms in Iran after them now having to cover up more or less everything, so no sun exposure at all.

I would like to get my vit d tested, but in uk not us, I'll have to do a search for that I think as I have asked Dr and hospital and they say they dont test for it, maybe if I offered to pay?

Dancingirl that's interesting that vit D contributes to energy, there's hope for me yet!

Yep lots more eggs and this morning for a snack I had some walnuts

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

Thanks for the link Silverlady - very interesting.  Since having the recommendation to take Vit D from those lady GPs in my dancing class, I have been taking it but I just looked at my bottle and I'm clearly not taking enough. I'm upping my dose.
DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »

I hope the iron pills do the trick Smokey. I take extra iron from time to time because I am still on an HRT cycle but as a liquid herbal supplement (Floradix) which is easy on the stomach, although it is quite expensive compared to tablets.

I chew on a calcium and Vit D tablet when I remember - but it is better to get as much as possible of all vitamins and minerals from your diet. I know a lot of foods are fortified with Vit D - but not everyone eats these (like me) eg manufactured cereals and fat spreads. However the original pure cod liver oil I mentioned on another thread which I take, contains Vitamin D but I think if this is thought to be insufficent some of the oils are fortified with extra vitamins (although I prefer not to take these).

Yes it's a pity too many people now use sun screens and high factor ones, rather than expose their bodies to sunlight and then cover up or go in the shade, and also we all benefit from getting outside more, in more ways than just vitamin D!

For further information - the NHS site recommends Vit D for the following groups of people:
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/what-does-vitamin-d-do.aspx

Who is at risk of vitamin D deficiency?

Most people can get all the vitamin D they need by eating a healthy, balanced diet and getting a little sun. However, the Department of Health recommends a daily vitamin D supplement for the following people:

all children aged six months to four years (see below)
    all pregnant and breastfeeding women
    all people aged 65 and over
    people who aren't exposed to much sun, for example people who cover up their skin for cultural reasons, or people who are housebound (stay indoors) for long periods of time

There is more information here too:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

Hurdity x

Smokey

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:14:54 PM »

I've got my iron pills now 210mg and must take them 3 times a day so I don't take them to close to thyroxin and other tabs I'm taking them at 3am 11am and 7pm I'm taking them with orange juice as you absorbe them better.

I have this morning also received a letter from gp asking me to make an appointment to investigate the cause of anemia I have been taking Omprezole for stomach and have just been looking at side effects for it and am shocked to see amemia being one of them, although I don't remember seeing it in the leaflet with them, I just hope it's that and not something sinister anyone have any other ideas of the causes?

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »

Hi Smokey - it is good that your doc is being thorough. One of the causes of anaemia can be bleeding in the stomach which is why I had to have an endoscopy just to check the stomach lining. I expect that because you have had treatment for a stomach problem then you will need to have it checked. Your doc needs to make sure that the omeprazole didn't mask any problem which could have been causing the anaemia.

Taz x

Smokey

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »

Hi Taz

Endoscopy !   Ooh I had one three years back and I can't say it was exactly pleasent, but if that's what it takes I'll have it, the wait the stress it causes before the actual appointment is so muh worse than the actual procedure!

Managed to get doc appt on 6 December so I'll keep you posted.