Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damp weather and joint pain.  (Read 7929 times)

honeybun

Damp weather and joint pain.
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »

This damp weather is playing havoc with my joints. I have what I think is arthritis in some of my finger joints. I also have arthritis in both knees. This cold weather is making things stiff and sore. I put ibuprofen gel on my knees but don't know what to do about my fingers.

Anyone got any ideas. I woke up last night with the pain in my hands and I can't take ibuprofen pills because of my stomach.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

Re: Damp weather and joint pain.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:12 PM »

HB have you tried time release ibuprofen? I take it with food usually with a sandwich for even extra buffering, I don't tolerate ordinary ibuprofen, but timed release pills don't hurt my stomach.

My doctor says they are much more gentle.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »

Thanks SL, no I haven't tried those. My GP told me to stay away from ibuprofen so I have never considered them. To be honest I am a bit scared to try.
My hands always seem to be cold which does not help.
Anyone tried any supplements that they have found helpful.

Fed up feeling like an old woman.

Honeyb
X

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »

Cod liver oil is the obvious one but you probably know about that?  But I can't tell you if it helps though as fortunately I don't suffer from joint pain although I started to a few years ago - in my knees and hips but it's gone now. I think HRT helps - but you are already on that, and the exercise classes I go to.

Re cod liver oil - I only have the pure one ie "seven seas" pure cod liver oil in a bottle (which I mix with orange juice to take the taste away) - not the capsules because they have added vitamins which you probably don't need and you don't get enough of the oil itself. I take it when I remember in the winter but also eat quite a lot of fish.

Sorry I can't think of anything else.

Hurdity  x

scriv

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »

I have the same problem. I use Ibuleve Painkilling Gel when my hands and fingers are bad and it does help.

But this is Ibuprofen..... would you be able to use it in gel form?

And keep your hands as warm as possible in this cold weather.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »

I'm developing some twinges in my fingers these days. They get a bit achy in cold/damp weather. Oh the joys!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

Oh honeybun - as an ex dancer, don't get me started about painful joints etc. The best advice I can give is - just try to keep everything moving. DGx

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »

Thanks all. Going into town to get a good fish oil supplement and also some wool. I need to keep my fingers moving to try and make sure I don't loose it altogether eventually.
My sister has the little bony spurs on her fingers but no pain.

It's the one thing that HRT never helped at all. Joint pain is getting worse as the years go on.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »

I take omega 3 maybe that's why mine aren't too bad.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »

I think I need WD 40. I creak like an old woman and I hate it.

I have had back problems since my first child was born. The epidural knackered my back and then there were two pregnancies after that. My knees started in my early forties and everything else is just going downhill.
I think I hate this more than anything.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »

My bad back caused by bad car crash in Florida in the 90s. One of my knees crunches when climbing upstairs. Thankfully we live in a bungalow, so no stairs.  If I sit too long I stiffen up. Shouldn't grumble though, compared to some.

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »

I know I shouldn't grumble but I just feel like it today  ::)  ;D

Never thought I would be like this in my 50s. Not that I thought I would be bagging any Munros but this is ridiculous.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »

There is one less to bag though, came up 6" too short.  Only managed 2 myself, up Glenshee somewhere. Hubby bagged 30 something.

Know what you mean though. I thought aches were for old folk. Guess I must be getting on a bit then.  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

I read that as remedies for old folk  ;D

It's really where to start. There were so many different things that people said helped.
I know I have too much stress in my life but am at a loss as to how to lessen it. I think I would have to run away to be honest as I get pulled this way and that and nothing I ever do is good enough or even just enough.

How on earth do you go about sorting that out.  :-\

Honeyb
X
Pages: [1] 2