Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mums Sciatica  (Read 2799 times)

Cassie

Mums Sciatica
« on: November 22, 2013, 06:55:11 AM »

My 85 year old mom seems to have developed Sciatica, had her @ the GP, he gave her a Voltaren inj which she found very painful, she has also had a few physio sessions which dont seem to have helped, I was thinking about letting her see a chiro. I am not happy with her taking anti inflammatories constantly, they cannot be good for her stomach, does anyone have any suggestions, she is just mis with the pain, I have left a msg for the GP to call back to hear what he suggests, I think it is Sciatica she says that the pain radiates down her leg, Physio seems to think it is that but she is not responding to treatment, could it be a chronic thing that she has to learn to live with? Thankyou..

honeybun

Re: Mums Sciatica
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 07:54:09 AM »

Sciatica is a miserable thing and she has my sympathy.

I really would take your doctor's advice though as most women of her age have some osteoporosis and a chiropractor might not be suitable for her.

Just a thought though.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »

Has my sympathy too. Very painful condition. Has physio given her ultrasound treatment at all? Worked wonders on my sore foot a while back.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:45:35 PM »

Thx Ladies, to be honest, I am not sure what the physio has done, my mom said she sort of put a pad under her, could that have been ultrasound? My GP has referred her for an Xray, he said that whilst one cannot determine too much from an Xray, one can still get a good idea of what the condition of the deterioration etc is and see the hips in case they are connected, will keep you updated. They physio suggested she lie on a hot water bottle or a heated pad when she gets really sore, it is very painful, she did inform me of that..:( no wonder mum has been so irritable....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »

An X-ray is essential at any age! no one should perform physio/chiro etc. on a person without a recent X-ray.  In case there is congenital abnormalities .......... personal experience of this  ::)

Take the anti-inflammatories if they help.  That is what the drug is designed for.  At least until after the X-ray appt..  If your Mum is going to do something strenuous then taking the medication an hour before: i.e. walking to the shops: will ease any after effects of the exercise.

She has my sympthathy. Iwake most mornings with intense burning down my thighs, GP says it's not the sciatic nervein my case but another wiht a Very Long Name  >:(.  I also have occasional low back pain like right now ........ must sort out my sitting position.

Your Mum might like a cushion behind her back if her furniture is old.  I have that as the seat on our settee has settled, the cushion keeps me more upright which means that the nerve isn't pulled as much.  Also, your Mum might benefit from a new mattress and don't let her say 'not at my age'  ;)

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »

Ultra sound can be good for joint pain I had it at Physio trouble is you need it on a regular basis

You can get one for the home  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5URRRLow6Q  I would like to afford one for home use.

The ones NHS  used by NHS Physios are probably more complex.

I have my appointment on the 12th Dec at the pain management clinic, hopefully for an injection.

Leg, hip and lower back pain is no fun, its not very well managed on the NHS.

Cassie has your mum been offered an MRI sometimes Xrays are not enough.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

An MRI scan is expensive which is why an X-ray is performed initially which will tell whether the sufferer requires further investigations.