Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: SOYA  (Read 4425 times)

Cassie

SOYA
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »

I have seen so many posts where folk say that they cannot take Soya, am just wondering why, is that due to thyroid probs or what? I am on Eltroxin for hypo thyroid but take Utrogestan which contains soya, could this be aggravating the problem, any ideas. Does one become soya intolerant, if so, what are the symptoms, thankyou lovely ladies.

ancient runner

Re: SOYA
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »

Er...no idea but sympathy and hope you get an expert along soon.

andius

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 04:03:42 AM »

I think they mean they are allergic to soy, like some people are allergic to peanuts!

Maybe someone who can't tolerate it will post an answer for you. ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:15:27 AM »

I became intolerant to soya for a few months after taking antibiotics. I had violent diarrhoea and stomach cramps. It is a common allergen and you will see it listed as such on food labels. I think reactions vary from people to people.

There is big difference between allergies and intolerances. Intolerances can make you feel very ill, often a while after being consumed, which makes them difficult to identify. Allergies like the peanut allergy are far more serious, often life threatening and the reaction more instant, often involving the swelling of breathing tubes.

There are various ways to find out if you have an intolerance to soya. There various expensive allergy tests, which have debatable results. I found out as a by-product of other tests I had while seeing a nutritionist. Huge relief and I was able to reintroduce soya back into my diet after a year of avoidance. The other test I have faith in is called a kinesis (I think) test. You put a food in your mouth, then try push the practitioner's hand up. If you are intolerant, you can't push their hand up. Really, really weird, but it worked. My chiropractor did this test for me.

I hope this helps.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »

I have a "sensitivity" to soya rather than an allergy. Within a few hours of eating it I develop bad stomach pains, diarrhoea, shivering and aching. It's worse with soya protein rather than soya flour and soya lecithin.

I discovered what the problem was thirty years ago but at that stage it was not considered as an allergen so didn't appear on any labels as one.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:59:32 PM »

Yes labelling has made shopping so much easier. I was given a list of all the alternative names to look out for in a list of ingredients. But did they list ingredients on processed food 30 years ago? If not, how did you cope, Taz?

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »

They did list ingredients in those days although not as fully as now. We had some soya mince one evening and I was ill during the night. I then discovered that soya flour was used in so many products and in those days even a slice of bread would make me feel ill but I can tolerate bread now. The problem seems to be if I have soya in different products throughout the day. This must reach a tipping point. Even gravy granules were out for a time. My doc thinks it is to do with the body's inability to deal with protein in this form.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »

I have a problem with wheat and had an immediate reaction with even the smallest amount of wheat, even beer. After about 10 years, I can tolerate wheat as long as I don't have too much. I find I can tolerate some forms of wheat better than others, eg biscuits, but not bread. No problem with spelt flour. Food intolerances are unpredictable. My daughter has an intolerance to lactose. She calls it an allergy, so she is taken seriously. Most medications have lactose in them, which caused difficulties when she had pre-eclampsia.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:11:25 PM »

I have often wondered why so many people have food allergies/intolerance. I mean the genuine ones not the change from week to week ones.
Is it that they went undiagnosed years ago or the range of foods we eat is far greater or is it that we eat more processed foods now.
When I was at school I can't remember anyone having a nut allergy but when my kids were young we got frequent letters from school to advise against giving any snacks etc that contained nuts. There were quite a few children with very severe allergies.
What has changed I wonder.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 03:10:56 AM »

Very good question! I don't recall anyone with peanut allergy when I was at school, but if you go into staff rooms in primary schools nowadays, you will see pictures of children with serious allergies and what to do in emergencies. I did have loads of allergies as a child as I had asthma, hayfever and eczema, but I was in a minority. Asthma is far more common now. Thankfully, medication is much better than when I was a child. My daughter has been very careful introducing new foods to her son. She is lactose and egg intolerant. We were wondering whether she has always had these intolerances. She was a healthy child, apart from constantly 'pooing' and she had awful nappy rash. I had to rush to change her nappy. She also had projectile vomiting. She was breast fed. Fortunately, her son has only had problems with potato of all things.