Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: going to a hot country  (Read 3467 times)

flanker

going to a hot country
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »

Hi,
Im experiencing hot flushes on and off and suffered badly with feeling too hot when we had the heat in the summer. Im going to a country where it will be nearly 30 degrees  and am concerned how to cope with the heat and whether it will trigger hot flushes. Has anyone been to a hot country whilst suffering hot flushes? Any tips on how to cope with it? Thanks

dulciana

Going to a hot country
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 09:35:20 PM »

Having suffered badly with flushes during the this summer's heatwave, too, I would suggest staying in the shade if/as much as possible, drinking plenty of water (the colder the better!) and not too much caffeine or alcohol, wearing cool cotton clothing and having a hand-held fan with you always.  Hope this is of some help!

Rose

Re: going to a hot country
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:09:34 PM »

Living in a hot country I have learned to stay out of the really hot times of the day in an air conditioned place. As dulciana says, wear cool cotton clothes and drink plenty of water. I have completely reversed my thinking of staying baking in the sun (I'm from Ireland and when you see sunshine you get out in it!) and now follow the Aussies who always choose cool shady places from 12-3 pm. There should be air con in your room at night or a fan. hope this helps.
Rose.

andius

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:28:35 AM »

Loose cotton clothes and dresses rather than pants, drink water. Heat is easier to handle if it is not a humid place, but if it is, stay away from  face lotions....they run with the sweat and can get in your eyes and burn. A wet rag in baggie in your purse is a good thing.  If you have long hair...wear ponytail to keep it off your neck.

Andius

Suzi Q

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:18:11 AM »

I live in Ozz on the bayside wear cotton kickers and bras if you can
Wear loose clothes not man mande fabric as well IF u can
There will be air con every where I set mine to 19 outside its 35C
Just go enjoy OK flushes or no flushes have a ball xxxxxxxxx

cal

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »

I have just come back from 2 weeks in the carribbean and my hot flushes started whilst there but have been worse since coming home. I actually think it was easier whilst on holiday as i sat in the shade during the day and dipping in the pool and light loose clothing really helped.
I think perhaps its harder to cope at home in the uk as the weather is cold and you have all this synthetic heat if that makes sense?? central heating, thicker and more clothes, I think perhaps it makes it worse.
Enjoy your holiday!!