Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Spot/lump is now full blown abcess!  (Read 14840 times)

countrybumpkin

Re: Spot/lump is now full blown abcess!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »

Thanks Angela. Good advice. My husband is a insulin dependant diabetic so checking my blood sugar is not a problem :)  My fasting glucose was 5 which is fine so I know its not diabetes but it is something everyone should know.
Bet my GP doesn't check though ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »

:o

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »

It's not something that they do generally check for. My hubby is also insulin dependent so I can also easily check. I have always been fine although I think I have only checked twice in four years.

Honeyb
X

star35

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »

Hi have you tried magnesium sulphate paste.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »

Whats magnesium sulphate paste and where do I get it ;D please.

I agree about having to get all the lump out before it will go away but trouble is that there is a limit to how much you can squeeze before passing out with the pain and my Gp said don't squeeze to hard or you can rupture it which risks blood poisoning :o.

I have a horrible feeling that this is not going to clear up because although its smaller than it was and not quite as painful its only letting small amounts of gunk out every day and obviosuly lots more needs to come out!

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »

You can get the paste from any chemist. How I have used it in the past is to put a good amount on and cover with a damp dressing....something like lint. Then cover with a dry dressing. The idea is that the paste draws out the pus.

It's a very old fashioned method but it works really well.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »

Blood poisoning will only happen if the abscess bursts inside the body, or if you have an open wound/scratch close to any discharge outside of the painful area.

How is it today?

Granma swore by hot salty water or Zinc and caster oil ointment  ::)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »

I could not get magnesium paste within a 20 mile radius of my house - rubbish chemists but
I've got a very old fashioned remedy that is working wonders its a pot of glycerine and icthamol drawing ointment.  Its about 40 years old :o and was from my husband long dead aunty who was a district nurse. We have always used it to get splinters out - its like a miracle cream. Its disgusting stuff almost black and very sticky and smells of sulphur. We always knew it as the black ointment.
Since I put it on last night the abcess is half the size it was and is much more of a volcano shape and getting a good head.  I can tell a head is forming as it feels like I am being stung by a thousand wasps :(
I am back to Drs tomorow afternoon. Not sure what she will do - I am hoping that another dose of the black ointment overnight will get it to burst again.
This is longest and most painful thing I have had in a long time.
The antibiotics don't seem to have had a great effect its the getting it to a head and bursting it that has been helping.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:23:03 PM by countrybumpkin »

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »

If it does not go overnight then maybe your GP will lance it. At least that way you will get rid of the pain.

Fingers crossed for you.

Honeyb
X

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »

Glad your lump is improving countrybumkin, I was very intrigued about the black ointment and googled it and found you can get it on amazon, I asked my OH about it, he is always telling me about old-fashioned remedies his mum used and he remembered it.

I did think that topical antibiotic cream might have worked better then oral.

Don't forget to tell the Dr about the black ointment, sometimes the best remedies are the old ones.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »

Well I now have a hole in the abcess :o and this mornng got some solid white stuff out that is obviously the original stuff that was blocking the follicle. Still some more to come out that is too big for hole ::) but hopefully will come out slowly n bits. Sorry for too much info ;)
I will tell Dr about the stuff I used - not sure I dare take the pot with me as its horrible stuff and she may have the vapours ;D 

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 01:13:08 PM »

;D  ....  we call those  long stiff excretions 'maggots'  :o  ...... I thought of you at 1.00 a.m. as I squeezed a hard spot on my butt  :-X - gone this morning  8)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »

Hard maggots ;D
Dr had a look and said that she hoped it was resolving and said that the oral antibiotics don't work if it hasn't burst??? new one on me but would explain why they did not seem to be doing anything.
I cannot use the miracle cream if I have an open wound but she did give me some antibiotic cream to put on while I have the hole.
She said it may come back and the choice is either to try and get it to burst again or she can send me to A&E to have it lanced :o :o

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »

I would get it lanced.  Then it will be flushed out with probably saline solution before being packed with antibiotic lint so that it heals from the inside out, may require daily dressings ......  :-X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 09:16:51 PM »

It doesn't need lancing at the moment as its has a great hole in it and is weeping stuff out all the time. My husband got lots of solid stuff out this morning .

Its just if it seals up and comes up again that she said I could either get it to burst again or she could send me to get it lanced.

I am just praying that it clears out and calms down now and doesn't come back!
Pages: 1 [2] 3