Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: An Interesting Article on Anxiety  (Read 7438 times)

Taz2

An Interesting Article on Anxiety
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »

Hi Ladies - we have been talking about anxiety a lot on here recently and a friend has sent me this link. She is young but suffers dreadfully with panic and anxiety and has recently started fessing up to her friends and family. Through being brave enough to do this she has discovered that lots of her colleagues also feel the same but all have been keeping it on a tight leash, too embarrassed to mention it.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/15/anxiety-epidemic-gripping-britain

Taz  x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: An Interesting Article on Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:40:32 PM »

:thankyou:

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »

Interesting reading Taz. It's not really a new thing if they can trace it back so far. Maybe more people are being open about now.
Well done to your young friend, she is being very brave.

Honeyb
X

Lucky Stone

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »

Great article, thanks for sharing.

smudgesmum

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »

WOW! What a fantastic article... at last someone that understands what they are talking about.

Clovie

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:20:02 AM »

Great article  :)

I suppose I've always suffered with anxiety, on and off, but I've always hidden it. (Grateful that its not been so debilitating that I have been unable to hide it, never been to such an extent that it is obvious.)

Why do/did I hide it?
Cards on  the table - -
I see it as a weakness, and am ashamed of it.
I suppose its because I'd be seen as 'mad' and worst case scenario I would have my children taken off me, or I'd be locked up (stupid really but when I feel like that these fears are very real)
My mum used to talk about people being 'locked up' for being mad and I've always been terrified of it.

So so so many people suffer with this and attitudes toward it need to change, thankfully I think they are, slowly.

Hugs to all suffering right now.  :hug:

kes

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »

I thought this article was interesting, especially the quotes from the book "Monkey Mind" which I will now read. 
However, I don't believe CBT is the answer for everyone with anxiety - it didn't help me at all, it just made me feel worse, and even more "mad", eg when I had to write down my rituals and anxieties and talk to the therapist about them in detail.  The exposure therapy didn't work at all, in my case.  I have friends in my Depression Alliance group who say the same.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »

I am not sure whether any of you would like to read this post from a young, male, musician friend of mine. I feel it is very brave of him to write about this -he has linked it into various forums he uses in order to try to lift the horrible taboo which can still surround mental health. http://www.thecalmzone.net/2013/08/tenyearsago/

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:21:41 AM »

Many teenagers are displaying Personality Disorders varying from mild extreme, I have personal knowledge of this in my family.

Thankfully though through good care and management she is much better and turning into a lovely young woman, though still shy, she is gaining confidence to cope with the world outside her home environment, she is at college and hoping to go to University. 

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Borderline-Personality-Disorder.htm