Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Upper Urinary Tract Infection  (Read 41789 times)

Hurdity

Re: Upper Urinary Tract Infection
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »

Sorry to hear that Taz - so stopping HRT could really have had that effect and led to the infection? Quite worrying - and I wonder if stopping suddenly makes this more likely ie there is less time to readjust.

Good that it is being treated properly but yes - disconcerting to have to be on antibiotics for so long

Hurdity x

Larney

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »

Sorry to hear that Taz - so stopping HRT could really have had that effect and led to the infection?

Good that it is being treated properly but yes - disconcerting to have to be on antibiotics for so long

I agree with Hurdity! And hoping you're feeling better Taz.
I'm wondering whether we can do anything to improve the acidity and so reduce the likelihood of infection? I don't take actimel or anything, but would that type of thing help the urinary tract? I've suffered from UTI since being a child and learned ways to stave it off, but am up for trying anything to reduce the risk!

Taz2

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »

I've just got back from the doctors. She explained that what is concerning her is that the lab hasn't been able to actually grow anything from my latest sample but it shows considerable infection still. She had a good look through my notes and it's a blessing that I had full blood tests taken in August as these showed good kidney function and everything else was fine too. She said that if I hadn't had that done she would have sent me for a blood test today. She said that the next step will be referral to a urologist to try to find out what is going on. Apparently sensitivity to Cipro isn't tested although they will test (after making a big fuss apparently) if asked to by the doc. Cipro kills most of the bugs responsible for UTI's apparently. She told me to keep taking the probiotics and if I wasn't feeling better by monday to make another appointment.  We talked about HRT and the effect it has and she agreed it's wonderful but that over 60 it does make sense to come off it although it is up to me.

When I got up this morning I felt dreadful - shivering and nauseous and dizzy. I took my temperature thinking that it must be raised again but it was 35.5. It took about an hour for it to go off. I think it might be a reaction to the higher dose of antibiotics.

She also said to take monday and tuesday off work next week and to rest to give my body a chance to recover.

She made me an appointment to see her in two weeks time to, hopefully, have the internal examination carried out to check on the reason for post-sex bleeding as she can't do that while I still have an infection. I explained that years ago I kept having to reschedule my bio-feedback appointments at the Continence Advisory Service clinic due to them always finding traces of infection in my urine but that after I started Vagifem this never happened again. She has prescribed vagifem to start tonight. :)

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

Perhaps the Vagifem will ease symptoms.  We know our bodies best!

:foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »

Thanks CKLD. It should make a future infection less likely. I will just be glad to actually get rid of this one. It's a bit scary when nothing seems to work. As the doc said "We're scraping the bottom of the barrel already re trying another antibiotic". There are lots I can't have and the one that would really have hit it hard in the beginning is one of those.  :(

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »

If the GP was worried she would have sent you into Hospital so that any particular AB could be administered by introvenous drip, therefore by-passing the gut. 

Rest.  Feet up.   :catscratch:  on lap.  Doze.  Let Nature do her work  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:38 PM »

Sorry to hear you are still poorly Taz. You have had such a bad infection. The ABs can make you feel really grotty so as CLKD says....feet up and rest. It's really disconcerting to think that sex caused this....It's enough to put you off. Definitely rather have a cuppa....much safer.  ::)

Hopefully this extended treatment will work.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 01:35:17 PM »

Thanks ladies.

I'm not sure how bypassing the gut would help CLKD - I'd still suffer the same allergic reaction unfortunately! She has spoken about hospital as a last resort but obviously with all the antibiotics she doesn't want to put me at more risk of C.Diff - seems to be a much better understood condition nowadays.  If can't let nature take its course - I'd be overwhelmed with bacteria - nasty, clever things!

Honeybun- I told the doc this morning that I was never having sex again. She also said that she has patients in their eighties and nineties who are on  Vagifem to keep their urinary tracts healthy which is encouraging if I ever get that old!!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »

My mum is on Vagifem and it really has helped. She still gets infections but nowhere near as many or as bad.
It should be prescribed or at least offered to all women of a certain age.

What treatment would they give you in hospital or would it be for tests.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »

Taz - Sorry you are still not feeling  right.
Really hope the Vagifem and taking time off next week sort things out   :foryou:

CLKD

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »

The allergic reaction could still happen but if ABs affect a patient's gut making them queasy, then IV is another way of making sure that they get the medication they require.

honeybun

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

I remember being given ABs in supository (sp) form. They were very strong and the oral ones were making me sick. As I had just had a baby it was not ideal. I have asked my GP about them but he had never heard of them. Maybe just available in hospital but they were great.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »

I think the doc said that if it came to that it would be to monitor things i.e. urine output and also carry out scans Honeybun. Obviously IV antibiotics do get to work quicker but they still wont work if they are not the right ones I guess. The one it was really sensitive to was Trimethropin but that's one that makes me itch and last time caused swelling of the lips and tongue so I'm not allowed that.

My neighbour said she had a kidney infection last month but five days of antibiotics cleared it up. I will have to wait and see. Hopefully this double dose will kill it all off.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

You're sure not doing great Taz. Problem is trying to find the correct antibiotic to suit the infection. I was given umpteen for pneumonia, but had to eventually get IV ones. I've got a list on my mobile of ones I can't take, together with side effects. Cephradine brought me out in hives. Most others make me pretty I'll. In fact I'm scared of ever needing antibiotics for anything.

Hope you start feeling better soon.  :hug:

Hurdity

« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »

Oh dear you are really going through the mill with this one Taz.
Do hope the new antibiotics start to work soon - and great news that you have been prescribed Vagifem which should lower the pH and hopefully lessen the likelihood of any re-infection.

As the others have said - you need the rest to really recover properly and if necessary have more time off.

Take care
Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10