Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Upper Urinary Tract Infection  (Read 41839 times)

Trey

Re: Upper Urinary Tract Infection
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2013, 01:34:09 PM »

I just lost large post darn it.   I wondered if you are still on Vagifem.  I also take D Mannose. To clear out bladder of E. coli, but don't know if it helps anything else.  My gastro doc told me to double up on probiotics and to use the ones that have more than acidophilus.  I take two kinds and take twice the dose. Te doc told me that one can't really overdose on probiotics.  I don't know if that is true, but seems logical.

Sure hope you clear it completely and feel back to normal soon.

Scampi

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »

D-Mannose is amazing stuff - google 'Waterfall D-mannose' for a supplier in the UK.  It isn't cheap, but it's worth every penny.  It can be effective for upper UTIs as well as bladder-level infections, and even if the major infection is not e-coli, D-mannose can help to reduce inflammation and therefore pain/discomfort.

Taz2

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »

Thanks ladies will have a look.

I'm not on vagifem at the minute Trey - doc wont prescribe it while I'm waiting to find out what caused the bleeding.

She said to take the probiotics for a month and then stop as it's not a good idea to take them all the time. I have ones which are specifically for use with and after a course of antibiotics - maybe that's why she said only for a month?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »

What are the pro biotics called Taz and how many bacteria do they have in them. I take one a day to help my stomach and really do notice a difference if I stop. I also eat the yogurt and take actimel. I feel it keeps my stomach and bowels on an even keel. I still have blips though.

Good to hear your GP is so on the ball and very clued up. Sounds as if she will encourage you to get the operation sooner than later.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »

I've got OptiBac "for those on antibiotics". There are 4 billion live probiotic cultures in each capsule. I don't know how this compares with any other makes though - it was just the one recommended in the chemist attached to the surgery.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

Sounds about the same as I take. I find it really helps my IBS which is my primary reason for taking it.

Hopefully you won't have thrush when you take a course of these.

Honeyb
X

Trey

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »

I've taken one or two a day for years with no issues.  Interesting onn the one month advice.  Will have to research that a bit.  Mine are 8 billion and my doctor has all her patients on it daily for immune system.  She has a Phd in additional to her MD and seems very up to date.  Hope you are feeling much better Taz

Taz2

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »

She just said that at my age and with my overall health being good then a daily dose isn't necessary once I've re-established the good gut bugs. She did say that I could take one a couple of times a week if it made me feel better.  There is so much conflicting advice around re this sort of thing.  :-\

I am feeling better but got halfway round the supermarket shop and felt so tired - silly me!

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »

Take care Taz and look after yourself, I can't think of you feeling tired.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »

Anything that keeps the gut flora healthy is good.  The body will digest what is required and excrete the rest  ;)

Glad you have a good GP!

Hurdity

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »

I have an appointment with her next week to "take a peek" because a couple of weeks ago - before the infection - I did have a small amount of bleeding after sex. All related she feels but I am on the "merry go round" of scans and possible hysteroscopy.

Taz x  :thankyou:

Glad you are feeling better and good that you are being properly investigated for things that could be causing problems now and in the future. Re the above - this is what led to all my investigations - bleeding after sex, which in my case turned out to be the ectropion on my cervix.

I'm not on vagifem at the minute Trey - doc wont prescribe it while I'm waiting to find out what caused the bleeding.

However I not necessarily agree with your doc there. That is what my GP said to me - to stop HRT completely (though she didn't mention the Vagifem) pending investigations - but I asked Dr Currie (when the e-mail facility was still there) and she agreed that I did not need to stop so I went back to a different doc in the practice and said I did not want to stop so she agreed (ref Dr Currie's comments) and referred me for further investigation.

I mean in your case, since stopping HRT completely,  all the more important to keep your vaginal tissues healthy as the drop in oestrogen will be dramatic. I would have thought that using Vagifem could have no bearing on your investigations except potentially make them more painful if vaginal atrophy sets in...

Have you had a smear recently? In my case I'd had one about 6 months previously which was all clear so they ruled out anything wrong there straight away. Even if you are due for one I still can't see why you would have to stop Vagifem. Are you able to phone your meno-clinic for further advice on this?

In terms of possible time-scale (although it will be different in different areas), I first went to the GP about the bleeding after sex in early May, and only last week after all the investigations ( admittedly had quite a few!) got the letter to say there was nothing wrong (except the ectropion - which I was told about back in May ie that I had it!!). That would have been over 4 months without HRT - or in your case it could be without Vagifem either.

I'm not an expert though and just reporting what happened in my situation in case it is helpful and you really feel you don't want to stop the Vagifem but feel you have to because of GP....

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I hadn't really thought about it very much but will mention it to the doc again on Friday when she is going to examine me.

My smears are up to date and it's around eighteen months since I had the pelvic and transvaginal scans which showed a thickened womb lining but as I was halfway through a heavy bleed at the time and the lining was uniform they said that all was ok and I have had no problems since. Going without HRT has certainly given me a better idea of how bad my prolapse is so this is making me a bit more certain that a hyster will be the way forward..maybe.. perhaps...  :)

Taz

Trey

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »

One usually gets it from oneself. E. coli from colon gets into wrong place

Taz2

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »

The GP phoned this evening. The sample I sent in on Monday shows that the infection is still there - albeit less than before - so I have to start on double Ciprofloaxin for ten days from tomorrow. It wasn't my own doctor but this one said that he felt given the strength of the infection that five days wasn't enough but that they don't like to overprescribe it. He said that Cipro is one of the "big guns" so hopefully another double dose course should kill it off. I must admit to being a bit worried about it although I knew that I still wasn't right although much better than before. It's the first time I've had something that hasn't shifted after two different antibiotics.

I also found this interesting having recently stopped HRT

"Factors in Overcoming the Bacterial Defense Systems

Changes in the amount or type of acid within the genital and urinary tracts contribute to lowering the resistance to infection. For example, beneficial organisms called lactobacilli increase the acidic environment in the female urinary tract. Reductions in their number (which, for example, occur with estrogen loss after menopause), increase pH and therefore the risk of infection.

Source: Urinary tract infection | University of Maryland Medical Center "

Taz x
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:00:28 PM by Taz2 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10