Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi, new on here  (Read 3756 times)

hot-totty

Hi, new on here
« on: January 14, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »

Hello , I hope that someone can give me some advice.I am 47 now and entered peri menopuase around the age of 42. AS I was considered to be having an early menopause I was advised that I should take HRT, which I was more than happy to do with all the horrible symptoms such as hot flushes, anxiety, insomnia and tiredness.Well, since going on Elleste Duet 2mg I have been more or less symptom free and much happier.What I wanted to know was when should I ask to considered to come off the sequential combined HRT and onto an Oestogen only HRT. I was still having periods when I was 41 (a bit irregular), but obviously I don't know whether I would be having them still as I am on HRT. The reason I want to think about this is due to the painful "periods " that I get on HRT.
I haven't been having annual check ups with my GP which I think I should have been having, but I am planning on making an appointment to discuss the options, and would like to be armed with information ( in my experience the advice that I have been given varies considerably depending on which GP you see in the practice)

All advice and help would be really appreciated.

Thanks x

honeybun

Re: Hi, new on here
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »

:welcomemm:

If you have not had a hysterectomy which I presume you haven't then you will always need a progesterone. You can't use oestrogen alone if you have your womb at any age. What you can do is move onto a conti HRT which is a no bleed preparation. I'm afraid that's your only option .

Hope this helps. If you look at the green menu on the left then that will tell you what's available.

Honeyb
x

pat21

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »

Hi there.. I think you should probably make an appointment to see a Doctor. I've been on Evorel patches for the same reasons as you for approx 10 years. I dont have periods any more. I dont think you should be still having periods (I'm no Doctor of course)  Its peace of mind at the end of the day and it could be that you need a different HRT. I hope all goes well for you.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »

If you are on a sequential HRT then you have a withdrawal bleed every month. If you use a conti HRT then you don't get a bleed at all.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule as a small proportion of women do not bleed on a sequi regime.

If you have a womb then progesterone must be used to keep the lining thin. By using oestrogen alone would cause a build up and the risk of cancer.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Honeyb
x

hot-totty

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »

Thanks Honeyb. That has made it clearer.On what basis will my GP decide whether I should move onto the Conti HRT, is it so many years after being on HRT? The only reason I am considering a change is the fact that I'm a bit fed up having a monthly withdrawal bleed which is more painful and heavy than when I had normal periods.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »

My GP changed me onto a conti when I started to have spotting throughout the month. I was 51 at the time. It took about six months to settle completely which is not unusual. Can't say I miss having a period at all.

Don't know how your GP will view a change as some see a conti HRT as something to be given when you have not had a natural period for a year, or over the age of 50 something (can't remember exactly).

I did check with Dr Currie if a conti was suitable and she assured me it was just fine at my age.

Honeyb
x

lubylou

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »

Hi there,
I cannot answer your question but as another newbie welcome to the forum :welcomemm:
Lubylou