Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which photo means a lot to you  (Read 9721 times)

Pennyfarthing

Which photo means a lot to you
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »

I was looking for something and discovered a photo in a drawer. It was of my son (now 33) and the date on back said he was just over 4.

He is in the back garden of the second little house we lived in  and the look of concentration on his face is amazing.  He is completely unaware he is being photographed.  We planted sunflowers and they grew HUGE and he is tying the stalk with some garden twine.    Both his knees have plasters on as he was always getting into scrapes and he has a T shirt and shorts on, both of which I remember came from jumble sales.

We didn't have much money then and I used to get wonderful bargains at jumble sales - fill a black sack for 50p!!  We crammed a lot into that little garden - sandpit, paddling pool, sunflowers and how I wished for a bigger garden and one that got more sun.  Just the end of it got late afternoon sun and I vowed then to always look at the position of the garden when we were moving house. 

I have been like a soppy old fool looking at this  :-[and it has brought back so many memories and I can't believe where the years have gone.  I guess we don't look at photos so much these days now everything is on computer. 

What pic means a lot to you?

Scampi

Re: Which photo means a lot to you
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »

I have one of my sadly missed Dad happily BBQ-ing in a gloriously sunny field while caravanning the year before he became ill - I love that picture as it shows Dad doing what he enjoyed most in life, and he looks so well an happy .... just how I want to remember him.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »

My Dad, sitting in the garden, beer in one hand, a bowl of olives near the other and his lovely panama hat on - taken the year he was diagnosed with Parkinson's - sadly passed now :'(

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »

My two kids age 7 and 2 playing in the snow with my beloved retriever. Rosy cheeks and daft hats bundled up against the cold.
Brings back such lovely memories.

Not meaning to be too sad because it's a little album that means so much to me. It contains about eight pictures of my baby daughter who died at 5 days old. It's not much but it's all I have of my precious girl. I don't look at it very often but it's there when I need to remember.

Honeyb
X

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »

A picture of my Dad taken at my wedding in 1991.
He died in 1993 at 57.
I have the photo in a daffodil frame,his favourite flower,on a special shelf in the lounge.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »

A photo of DH and I taken in Dad's garden in the 1980s
A photo of my dog - taken when she was aged about 5 - I would grab both in a fire

lily

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »

A photo of my boys aged 3 and 6 on holiday in the Algarve, they are sitting on a sofa in the apartment and look sunkissed.  Their bare feet are sticking out in front of them and the littlest ones look so small.  My dearly departed dad really liked that photo so I had it framed and it sat in their bedroom where my dad spent the last 7 years of his life housebound.  I now have it in my dining room.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:24 PM »

Ahhhh ... some wonderful replies. Thanks. :)

Very interesting that so many treasure pics of their Dads. No mention of Mums ...... yet! ;)

I have a lovely one of my Dad actually.  He is up his back garden pushing my son in his wheelbarrow - he was about 2 then. 

Scampi

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »

Isn't it strange how so many of the pictures that mean so much are of our Dads - is it that, as grown-up independent ladies, we just didn't realise just how important our Dads were until they weren't around anymore?  :'(

louisy

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »

I have a photo taken at my eldest son's wedding a couple of years ago  He is being hugged by his younger brother and the look of brotherly love in both their eyes gets me every time. And when I think how they used to scrap when they were little  :)

valiantkate

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:26:27 PM »

It's a lovely photo of my beloved Mum and Dad at my first wedding, they looked so happy, theyre having a cuddle and a smile, it makes me smile. Oh. how I miss them.

debil

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »

I have a photo by my bed of my lovely Nanna. It was taken at my cousins wedding and shes looking gorgeous in all her finery. She loved dressing up and when she passed in 1996 it took an age to clear her wardrobe of shoes and posh outfits!!  I feel her with me most days and still miss her
Debs x

valiantkate

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »

She sounds like she was a lovely lady and quite a character.

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »

A photo of my husband with my husband soon after she was born.

She was planned, but during my pregnancy, he emotionally detached himself. I feared for my marriage, as did his Mum. I think he panicked, as he had not had positive fathering. However, my daughter wound him round her little finger and has never let go. He decided to become the kind of father he had wanted. Both our children love, trust and respect him.

He was not keen on being a grandfather, but we didn't worry. Yes, he adores our grandson. Judging by all the smiles and arm flapping ( the latter by our grandson ) the feeling is mutual. 

Cazikins

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »

The photo of my Dad on parade for Remembrance Sunday that was printed in the local newspaper a few years ago - he wont half a smart fella  :'(
Pages: [1] 2