Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any one paid to have new eye lens put in like for cataracts  (Read 11398 times)

Sarai

Any one paid to have new eye lens put in like for cataracts
« on: August 31, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »

I am desperate to get my eyes 'done'. I am short sighted but used to be able to read and do close work with my distance glasses on. Now once you pass middle 40's you mostly need to remove glasses to do close work.
I am being driven mad right now as I work at home, a lot of computer work and close work, so glasses on off, on off all day. I can't even see a meal clearly unless I look under my glasses.
I toyed with the idea of laser years ago but was scared of stories about folks not being able to see straight lines after. Now I have read about lens replacement from clarivue or something, I know it costs £1000's for each eye, I just need a real person to tell me if its good other than a TV presenter, ie Ruth Langsford.
Can anybody help?

lily

Re: Any one paid to have new eye lens put in like for cataracts
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:37:48 PM »

Sorry, I don't know about the replacement lens but I know what you mean about glasses on and glasses off.  I wear contact lenses for work, but in the evening and at weekends I wear glasses and like you I get frustrated when I need to take them off for the crossword and on again to see further away.  My lenses are better as I have one for close work and one for distance - it took a bit of getting used to but works well for being able to see for both close up and far away.  I had been going to get laser eye surgery and changed my mind when I found out I would still need glasses for close work or could have the option of the two eyes being corrected to differing degrees so they would work like my lenses.  They could not reassure me that my vision would stay the same through my fifties and beyond and I did not want to pay a lot of money to have to go through it more than once.  I also heard that some people are left with gritty feeling eyes!  So the best solution for me is the two different contacts and making do with my distance glasses which I could change to vari-focals I suppose.

ariadne

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »

Sarai - I would love to have that op too. Do you think it is the same procedure as for a cataract? A chap in his fifties at work who has worn glasses since he was a young boy recently had a cataract operation and he was telling me that the replacement  lens is the kind that will give him the same vision for the rest of his life. He said he felt really emotional when he opened his eyes and could see without his glasses - like a miracle.  I wondered if it's the same type of lens and procedure.

ariadne xx

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »

I have severe sight problems and am registered parially sighted. I will need at some point to have the lens in both eyes replaced with artificial which is what you want plus having cataracts removed but I also need to have two vitrectomies where they remove all the gel from you eye and replace with artifitical :o  I have a very high risk of being blindied during the ops ( because of my congentical severe short sight) so while I have some sight I won't have the ops plus I am a total scaredy cat as well!
I know a man who had the op you are wanting and he does not need glasses at all.  He had it done about 5 years ago. Just recently he had to have laser treatment because he got a build up of fluid behind one lense but all is now well again.
Obviously the risks for you are very small compared to me but you have to balance the possible risks with how you are coping with your sight at the moment. It is also expensive as you will already know as its only available privately.

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 07:21:05 PM »

Ariadne yes I think it is the same. My optician said to me a few years back I may one day get cataracts, so I was thinking great, because I know older people who have them done and get 20/20 vision back. Trouble is that could be another 20 years.
I must be taking my glasses off every 5 minutes now, no word of a lie. I feel so stupid if I'm out and want to take a pic on my phone I end up tipping my head way back to peer under my glasses.
My hubby says I can get them done but I think prices are about £2000 an eye ( it costs the NHS £995) I will feel so guilty.
I read online testimonies but I wanted to know about real people who have had it done.
Thanks for your help ladies

sweatybet

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »

Hi sarai

I have a colleague (a doctor) who had his lenses replaced.  He had never tried contact lenses so had no idea if multifocal lenses would work.  They did not.  He suffered problems with distorted vision day and night.  Night driving caused halo effect.  He went onto have laser to try and correct things.  Now back to wearing glasses.  He regrets being swayed by what he was told to expect.  My own optician feels that if your brain cannot cope with either multifocal lenses or mono vision (reader/distance) then you are unlikely to be a good candidate for complete lens replacement.

I have been a life long contact lens wearer but now struggle to find any that give me the kind of vision I get with varifocal glasses.

Sweatybet

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

Very interesting sweatybet. I was told that I would still have to wear glasses for reading if I had the lenses put in my eyes as I would lose the ability  to focus.  Also I have to have both eyes done ( not at same time - 2 weeks apart) as in my case my brain could not cope with one almost blind eye and one good eye.

Lucky Stone

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »

I considered this procedure as I am also fed up with being stuck with glasses after being a life long contacts wearer. Had to give up the latter as my eyes are too dry. Tried varifocals but couldn't get on with them. So I saw the advert and asked my optician and he said that this is not a new thing and is indeed like having a cataract op. He said it would really be no good at all and would not give me proper vision for both distance and close up. So I have given up with that idea and just feel I am stuck with glasses on/glasses off  :-X Trouble is, I take them off and put them down and then can't find them without having glasses on.  :P Hopeless. Still, it is better than being blind. Maybe in the not too distant future, medical science will come up with a new option eh?

Witches Cat

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 08:01:54 AM »

I'm the same as you Sweatybet, very short sighted I am, had contacts from "hard" in the beginning in the 70's, to soft in the 90's and then to varifocal and "monovision" recently, which is the 1 eye reading, 1 eye distance, I also have rather dry eyes so need the highest water content going, but they still ;) can't make it as good as varifocal glasses. I'm 58 in a few weeks and have been told there is nothing else for me... not laser treatment, replacement lenses, nothing!! I'm so disappointed... but hey.. being so short sighted, if I take my glasses off (I can't see further than 6 inches clearly) but I can tell you which hand a gnat is scratching his bum with... so It's an Ill wind as my gran used to say ..    ;)

debil

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »

Hi all,
I would also love my eyes done, I have a few colleagues who have had this and they swear it changed their lives. I wear vari focals and get on great with them but I now can hardly see without them and I am too vain, so hate wearing specs!!
I am having a few medical issues at moment but as soon as everything is sorted out I intend to go for a consultation.
Will keep you posted
Debs x

Sarai

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »

This is all so confusing. I know quite a few people one in their 50's and some elderly who had to have cataract surgery. All of them got 20/20 vision back.
Which obviously is what I hoped for. But I was short sighted from teenage years, but if I could drive and do close work again, I would be happy.
I am wondering if the lens used for cataract surgery is different to the ones used in private clinics.
I am not sure I would accept the opinion of an optician as I am sure they will realise every person who has this done is one less person buying their glasses.

Sarai

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »

Hi sarai

I have a colleague (a doctor) who had his lenses replaced.  He had never tried contact lenses so had no idea if multifocal lenses would work.  They did not.  He suffered problems with distorted vision day and night.  Night driving caused halo effect.  He went onto have laser to try and correct things.  Now back to wearing glasses.  He regrets being swayed by what he was told to expect.  My own optician feels that if your brain cannot cope with either multifocal lenses or mono vision (reader/distance) then you are unlikely to be a good candidate for complete lens replacement.

I have been a life long contact lens wearer but now struggle to find any that give me the kind of vision I get with varifocal glasses.

Sweatybet

Sweatybet I had contact lens at one time, soft ones, they worked, but I hated all the faffing around and as I rubbed my eyes a lot they kept jumping out.
Are you saying that contact lens are multifocal? Mind you I had no problems seeing close items through distance glasses back then.
I am confused now.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »

Hi Sarai

I haven't had lens in but did get my eyes lasered two years ago - I was just approaching 50 and had already got varifocal glasses.  I was given the option of having different strengths of laser in each eye to avoid having to use reading glasses but the consultant did explain that some people couldn't get on with that so I opted to have them both done the same way.  I had them both done at the same time (you can have it done separately) and it was honestly the best thing I ever did  :)  I have 20:20 vision in one eye and the other is 0.25 so almost there.  I do use reading glasses for some things (if the print is very small) but I can get away with not wearing them for work or driving now and having sunglasses is wonderful 8)  I did mine through Optimax who I would thoroughly recommend - hubby had his done two months before me so I knew what to expect - just wish I'd done it years ago.  If you want any more info just pm me and I'll try and answer any questions you have.....

ann123

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »

I had cataract surgery in both eyes 3 years ago when I was age 49. Cataracts, at a young age, run in the family.
I have replacement lenses and still need glasses for reading.
I went private and the consultant told me at the time I would need reading glasses. My understanding is that replacement lenses aren't of a standard yet to give perfect vision.
I was just happy to be able to see again and drive without being frightened!
You could go to a private opthamology person for advice.

ariadne

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »

The more you read, the more confusing it seems to get. I did find this Daily Mail article that is quite informative

Type this into your search bar >    The artificial lenses that could see off your specs

ariadne xx
Pages: [1] 2