Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie needing help!  (Read 9345 times)

carm 01

Newbie needing help!
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum but I have been an avid reader since this menapause nigthmare started but now feel I need your advice. I started HRT (kILOFEM 2mg) 3 months ago and at first it was fantastic, no more flushes and all the other symptoms went away, the side effects were bleeding and headaches but I  felt so much better,more energy better concentration.
The problem now is I feel terrible again but it's anxiety, lack of motivation and mood swings, I don't know how my OH puts up with me.

i have started fluoxetine as I felt so low but not helping yet, wondering if anyone has had any experience of kilofem or is it just part or this nightmare and it will pass!!(Hopefully)

Thanks!!         

Cazikins

Re: Newbie needing help!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »

Welcome to the forum carm 01,
So sorry you are having a rough time at the moment. It's rotten when you get a few months of relief from the horrible meno' symptoms only for them to come back.

I would monitor it for another week or so & if things don't settle down or improve then go back to your doctor & explain how you are feeling.

I don't know how our OH's put up with us either - my poor fella has been my brick.

Good Luck, & please let us know how you get on.

Cazikins

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »

Hi carm01

:welcomemm: from me too
Also sorry to hear you are feeling low.

Have you considered the HRT could be making you feel like this?

Kliofem contains a synthetic progestogen called norethisterone which has the side effects for some women of making them feeling irritable, headaches and general pmt symptoms (if had this effect on me). This is compounded by the fact you are taking it all the time so getting no relief - if this is the problem.

If this is the case then adding Fluoxetine would not help and means you could be using a drug to counter the effect of a different synthetic substance!

Before continuing with the Fluoxetine I would actually change HRT. You haven't said how old you are, how far into meno, or how long since your last period before going onto HRT. However I would seriously consider going onto an HRT cycle to see if it is the progestogen causing the problem ( you take these for 12 days out of 28). If you want to take combi pills then many women find Femoston better, as the progestogen in these is closest to our natural progesterone in our body. Femoston 2/10 would give you the same dose of oestrogen as you are on.

The bleeding on conti HRT prepartions ( no-bleed types) is supposed to settle after 6 months but if the cyclical type ( as suggested above) will give you a predictable monthly bleed.

Some of us ( like myself) choose to do this rather than go onto the conti type, even when well post-menopausal - so we donlt have to take progesterone continuously.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

carm 01

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »

Thanks for your replies and I do think it's the HRT causing the low mood and anxiety because before I started it I had all the symptoms of the menapause but not this low mood.
I am 52 and haven't had a period for nearly 4 years, I used to take the AD for my PMT. Every day I say I'm going to stop taking the HRT but then I get scared and take it again.......so confused!!!!!!!!  XX

Cazikins

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »

I know how you feel. I am on about my 3rd attempt to stop HRT.

How are things now, have they settled down again?

Cazi x

carm 01

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »

hi Caz, I'm cutting down on the HRT and then I will go back to the Doc and see if they will give me something different. I know it's not the right way to do it but I'm just sick of the whole thing.
I go back to work tomorrow so hoping this will help mainly because I will have someone to talk to, just hope I can remember their names!!!

Carm XXX     

Greeneyes157956

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm new too one here and like carm1 I'm having terrible anxiety! I had gotten under control till the last few days then wham it's back.i felt hrt didn't help me so stopped and like you I stopped, started, stopped as I too was scared.i then thought if I didn't feel any benefit what was the point? With or without I had anxiety , low mood as in morbid thoughts and headaches,aches and pains,general not feeling good each day.the doc put me on a low dose anti depressant and It seems to have helped loads,until last few days I've felt anxious,but maybe that's a drop in hormones again.anyone got any tips for dealing with anxious times??  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 06:59:25 AM »

Hi Greeneyes - this anti-anxiety exercise has been very helpful to myself and others on here http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8454.0.html

Sorry your anxiety has reared it's head again. Are you facing anything different to the ordinary at the moment?

Taz

charliegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »

Hi all, just to give you my experience, have been on HRT for over a year but still have PMT type symptoms and night sweats, i guess its your underlying hormone swings that is the problem? Hurdity is that right? you are very knowledgeable on this!!
Charlie xx

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 07:38:59 AM »

HRT can give pmt type symptoms in a lot of women - after all it is mimicking our own cycle and, especially if you suffered from pmt anyway, it is the "norm". Some progesterone's are worse than others and it is usually the progesterone which is to blame. I've tried different HRT's but they all give me anxiety and pmt to a lesser or greater extent so it's been a case of weighing up the pluses and minuses of taking it.

Taz