Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hi new member - could it be start of menopause?  (Read 2318 times)

Cordelia

Hi new member - could it be start of menopause?
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »

Hi, I'm 43 and have multiple fibroids, 3 of them are large, which have caused me problems in my last pregnancy 3 years ago and with bleeding. I take tranexamic acid to control it. A few months ago the bleeding got a lot worse, so went on mini pill to see if that would help but it then got even worse and I was flooding. So stopped taking the pill. However since that happened I haven't had a normal period for 10 weeks. I had some spotting in the first few weeks but have had no spotting at all for last 4 weeks which is very unusual!!!  I have done a pregnancy test every week for the last 3 weeks, all negative. Could this be the start of menopause? I was on waiting list for womb ablation to stop the bleeding and then possibly a hysterectomy if that didn't work. I have GP appt tomorrow but would be nice to get some views from ladies who might have had the same thing. Just seems very odd to go from constant spotting and heavy periods to absolutely nothing at all. Thank you  :)

Cordelia

Re: Hi new member - could it be start of menopause?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »

Just to update have done a 4th pregnancy test this morning which was also negative. I feel crampy, my emotions are all over the place and i keep bursting into tears at the slightest thing. Which I know are all pregnancy symptoms but it's unlikely I'm pregnant, can these also be symptoms of menopause?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »

Sounds like meno, but best checked out. I had fibroids & cysts, bleeding almost all the time, cramps. Ended up with hysterectomy in my mid 30s. Although ovaries were left, they came out 10 years later as I was in a lot of pain.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »

Hi Cordelia  :welcomemm:

I agree that it would be best to get this checked out with your GP. It is probably just a result of the different hormones and your body taking a while to adjust. If your periods have stopped at your young age then you will be classed as experiencing an early menopause and this means that, fibroids permitting, you would benefit from being HRT in order to protect your heart and bones until the normal meno age of 51ish.

Let us know what the GP says.

Taz

Cordelia

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »

Hi thanks ladies  :)
I spoke to my Aunt and she started going through it in early 40's as did my Gran (who ended up having hysterectomy due to fibroid problems) so it's a possibility. I've also been getting the sweats really badly which I thought was just down to hot weather but we had a couple of cool days here up North and I was still dripping, I kept opening the windows and hubby kept shutting them lol and usually I wear a cardi ALL YEAR  ;D
Taz you mentioned fibroids permitting about HRT, would HRT possibly cause them to grow bigger?
I know it's not even confirmed yet but I like to know things  :)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »

Yes HRT can affect fibroids so it is prescribed "with caution". You may have to have a scan every so often to check on how they are.

Taz x  :)