Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blood Group  (Read 11743 times)

janm

Re: Blood Group
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:08:58 AM »

So good news!?
stop thinking about whether topical hrt increases cancer risk or decreases cancer risk
And focus on the fact that being blood group AB positive I'm now more likely to get a heart attack!

;) ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:16:11 PM by janm »

oldsheep

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »

Hello from another AB+ meno sheep. Looks like we're doomed  ;D

meno lesley

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »

I already feel like I am falling to bits and am also ab positive so something elsr to add to the list.

Lesley x

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »

Don't worry girls for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read this a while back - but can't remember the details.One was cranky (the middle one). Just follow the advice from I think the top link (or the bottom) which is sensible for anyone re diet, lifestyle and exercise. All this correlations and risk factors are to be taken with a pinch of salt (not too much salt, mind...) - especially such a minor effect.

And please note the standard statistical conclusion everyone needs to remember:

Correlation does not equal causation.... drummed into me at university and never forgotten...

You can correlate anything with anything but it doesn't help you find out the cause or even point to the cause - and especially with something like this. Yes there are some physiological differences between different blood groups otheriwse we wouldn't know about them - but if AB was danegrous - none of you would be here - natural selection would have seen to that long ago.

Hey Maryjane snap - I'm A negative too - and had to have injections with my children too!

Hurdity x

oldsheep

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »

Don't worry girls for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And please note the standard statistical conclusion everyone needs to remember:

Correlation does not equal causation.... drummed into me at university and never forgotten...

You can correlate anything with anything but it doesn't help you find out the cause or even point to the cause - and especially with something like this.

thanks Hurdity! Yup  ;D  I'm at high risk for heart disease and osteoporosis. So I try to keep my good cholesterol high, take vit D supplements (I've been put on 2000iu a day minimum) and get regular moderate exercise.
My one mega failing is the inability to avoid chocolate but so be it. I'd eat less of it if the weather was sunnier. Didn't eat any this summer.
I tend to avoid worrying about Daily Mail health scares etc. The papers have a 'health' slot to fill and nothing gets readers more than the "it'll kill ya" stories. The only thing I totally believe is don't smoke and don't drink too much; the rest seems guesswork.

Cassie

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »

As my friend says, who wont give up smoking, you gotta die from something....:) nothing like enjoying life to the full and being philosophical:) I have another friend who has lived all her life on organic fruits, meats, veggies, never smoked, nor touched alcohol, has exercised regularly, been in perfect shape and health and has just been diagnosed with advanced cancer....just shows one, hey.... happy evening all :)

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »

Everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions though I didn't think that posting about blood groups would promote some of the responses but then perhaps I shouldn't have been.

I for one would not dismiss this research and "Paper" anything that gives more understanding to heart disease and stroke is to be welcomed.

If anyone is still sceptical they should  google and do there own research.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:07:55 PM by silverlady »

Rowan

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »

I'm a bit sceptical of that one piece of research. What needs remembering is that the Saga piece is written by an ( unqualified) journalist who is simply reporting a summary of something she has read and you aren't getting a lot of detail.
The actual absolute risk to an individual is not stated, but just the relative risk for each blood group.It seems very simplistic to say that X blood group = more heart attacks or clots. If this was the case then that data would have been available for years surely?"

People with type AB blood may have a higher risk of heart disease compared with those whose blood type is O, according to a new study.

Researchers reviewed two studies that tracked nearly 90,000 people for more than 20 years and found that coronary heart disease risk varied with participants' blood types. People with type O blood had the lowest incidence of coronary heart disease, and compared with them, those with type AB blood were 23 percent more likely to have heart disease, while those with type B blood were 11 percent more likely, and people with type A were 5 percent more likely.

“While people cannot change their blood type, our findings may help physicians better understand who is at risk for developing heart disease,” said study author Dr. Lu Qi, assistant professor of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.

The researchers considered two Harvard studies, one that tracked 62,000 women over 26 years, and one that tracked 27,400 men over 24 years. In total, more than 2,500 people were diagnosed with heart disease.

The association with blood type held even after the researchers took into account variables that affect people's risk of heart disease, such as cholesterol levels, diabetes and hypertension.

The results are "totally surprising," said Dr. Richard Stein, a cardiologist and spokesperson for the American Heart Association. While other smaller studies have suggested such a correlation, this is the first large-scale study to support the connection, he noted.

Stein said that while further research is needed, blood type could be added to the list of factors that are considered when a doctor assesses a patient for risk of heart disease, particularly because blood tests to determine it are inexpensive and have no side effects.

In order to reduce heart disease risk, people should exercise, eat right and keep their weight and cholesterol in check, Stein said.

Knowing that one's blood type puts them at higher risk may increase people's motivation to "take care of themselves and stop their bad habits," Qi said.

The researchers found a correlation between blood type and heart disease risk, not a cause-and-effect link. Other research has suggested mechanisms that may explain the link, such as a link between type A blood and one type of cholesterol, and a link between type AB blood and heightened inflammation.

But these links were found in very small studies, Stein said, so explaining the correlation requires further research, he said.

In the United States, 45 percent of people have type O blood, making it the most common blood type. Only 4 percent of the U.S. population has type AB blood, while about 40 percent has type A and about 11 percent has type B.

The paper is published today (Aug. 14) in the journal Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology.

Pages: 1 [2]