Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: The games we played  (Read 9107 times)

ellie

The games we played
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »

Remember the days when there was no TV for kids and the games we played? I loved playing Jacks and hop scotch. What do you remember playing?  :)

Joyce

Re: The games we played
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:23:28 AM »

Marbles, kept trying to win one of the big ones, took me ages.  ;D

Played hopscotch or peevers. Mum's friend got me some granite peevers. Nobody had ones like mine. They were searching for flat stones in gardens. It was a game you could play on your own or with friends.

Sure there are more, so will have a think.

ellie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »

I bought my 4 year old Grandson some marbles yesterday, but of course he will cheat lol .

Scampi

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:53:32 AM »

We lived on a very quiet road - semis down one side, terraces on the other.  Very few cars in the street (ever - most of those who did have cars kept them in a block of garages round the corner), virtually no through traffic.  We (we being the 10 or so children who lived on the street - we all played together, boys and girls, across about a 6 year age-range) spent HOURS playing a game we called 'kerby' - you stood on the footpath and threw of football across the road, aiming to get it to bounce back off the opposite kerb!  Points scored for hitting the kerb (1 point), getting rebound (2) and catching the rebound (5).

We played in all weathers - the only thing that stopped us was snow so deep you couldn't see the kerb, never mind hit it!!  We played all sorts of other things too, but kerby is the one I remember the 'rules' of, and the game I miss most - never had the opportunity to play it with my daughter as times have changed and there's too many cars now  :(

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »

My kids played kerbie as we lived on a quiet street when they were young.

I loved skipping ropes especially the really long ones and we all lined up to jump in and out.

Happy days.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »

Chinese ropes, which were rubber bands joined together in a big loop. I used to attach mine round my my mum's dining chairs. Much more fun when you could get a group of friends together.

Another was an old fashioned empty wooden cotton real with string attached. Looped loosely round your ankle,  swung it round in circles and jumped over with other foot.

Bouncing two balls up off a wall. All the girls would pick a spot under the school staffroom window. Must have driven teachers crackers.  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »

... it still does drive the teachers crackers CG!!!  ;D

The children in our school play skipping games either individually or with the long ropes, french skipping, Jacks, ball-skip etc. They are also good at tag, british bulldog, duck duck goose etc.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:31 AM »

Is Chinese ropes the same as 'string' ?

Hop-scotch
Dollys
'house'
scooters
roller skates
Hooler hoops
skipping

things seemed to go round the Plaground in 'terms' - what was in last Term would be out the next  ::)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »

We used to play hotch scotch and kerbie in our cul-de-sac and we used to do skipping as well.  Loved "cats cradle" with the string round your hands and does anyone remember "Clackers"?  Those evil balls on string that you could clack up and down - they got banned at our school as lots of kids got broken wrists from them - the joys of childhood  :)

Scampi

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »

I HATED clackers - tried a friend's once and got a huge bruise on the back of my hand!  They were banned completely eventually because the balls kept exploding!

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »

Have remembered another. Kiss, kick or torture. A variation on tag I suppose. We weren't brutal with the kicks or torture. Torture was actually a Chinese burn. It could be quite painful I suppose depending on who was inflicting the torture.  ;)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »

I remember hopscotch and rounders (where all the local kids from about 6 to 16 would join in)
We also used to do loads of skipping games which involved a massive long rope and you would have teams of kids skipping over it at the same time.

I remember playing Scissors, Paper, Stone when you were just hanging around.

A lot of time was spent building "dens" with old bits of wood, lino, branches etc, throwing ropes into trees and making swings and climbing ropes.

Another great pastime was swapping various cards we collected from packets of chewing gum. 

My hubby just said the other day "there must be 40 kids up the road waiting for the High School bus but you seldom see kids playing out now."  We have tennis courts, football pitches, skate park and a large playing field and you hardly ever see a kid down there.