Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Regional accents  (Read 8424 times)

Taz2

Regional accents
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »

I was brought up in Suffolk and if anyone asks I always say that I come from there even though I have spent longer in the South of England. Someone sent this to my facebook today https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=165678416945663&set=vb.100005105166190&type=2&theater and it has given me a giggle but also made me really homesick for the accent. Anyone else feel like that about where they grew up?

I remember my mum telling me off for speaking with a Suffolk accent and then, years later, moaning about the fact that the accent was dying out!  When I go back "home" I find myself adopting the accent straight away.

Taz x

honeybun

Re: Regional accents
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »

I like some accents and dislike others. Where we live the accent is unpleasant if spoken in the slang way.
I taught my kids not to speak that way and they both have nice Scottish accents with a touch of the Londener thrown in for good measure. My hubby has been in Scotland for over 30 years and is still as much of a Londoner as he ever was.

I love the accents from the Scottish islands. They are so soft.

I guess a familiar accent will take us back to childhood especially if they were happy times.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:59:31 PM »

South Shields - think Robson  :-*
My Mum hails from deepest Norfolk and when the family gets together it's a language all of its own  :o

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »

Mine Is a "You're not from around here" accent, even in Italy they thought I was German ;D

Al my family have neutral accents.

Suzi Q

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »

Cheshire accent a mix of Oxford/Ntrth Welsh with a bit of scouse thrown in when angry hehehe

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »

I was brought up in Norfolk but never had a very strong accent as my Mum was Irish.  However, when I went to work in the Midlands, people were forever asking me what part of Australia I came from. ;D

You very seldom hear a child with what I call a "proper Norfolk" accent now - they all talk TV speak or whatever they call it.  Where every sentence sounds like a question and they use the word "like" after every couple of words.  ::)

Suzi Q

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

I agree my Dad has a old fashioned Wallasey acecnt mix of Oxford English slight Nrth Welsh twang
NOw THEY A;; SOUND SCOUSE

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »

When we moved to Wales we were mistaken for Ozzies  ::)  ;D