Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 8699 times)

SunshineCEN

Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

It took me over a year to get referred and then it was only because I visited when a locum was on duty. However, my GP was right in her belief that the menopause clinic wouldn't tell me anything different to what she had said but it was good to have someone else's opinion.

Taz

Hi Taz, Hope you do not mind me asking but are you post meno and if yes, how long? Are things improving for you? If there any other women whose symptoms got worst once post meno would love to hear your experiences.    ;)

SunshineCEN

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »

Hello sunshineCEN and  :welcomemm: from me too.
I would echo dancinggirl's post and consider HRT if you are able to. Whether or not you do so, then at least local oestrogen will help prevent vaginal atrophy and bladder symptoms which in some cases only begins to become apparent in later post-menopause.

You haven't said how old you are? Under 51/52 (the natural avergae age of menopause) then you should definitely take HRT to protect your bones and other health benefits.

Hurdity x

Thanks Hurdity, is VA and bladder probs a definite for post meno women?

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »

Nothing is a definite in the world of menopause for anyone!

There are just statistics to go on and lots of experience. You won't definitely suffer from them but menopausal oestrogen deficiency does cause long term VA and bladder problems in many women.

I don't have any stats to hand!

My symptoms - defo got worse once post-meno especially re vaginal symtpoms. I started with local oestrogen only. Then went onto full HRT and stopped the vaginal oestrogen. Then as I got further into post-meno i needed local oestrogen again as my levels dropped to their permanent low position.

Hurdity x

Dyan

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

Hi sunshineCEN :welcomemm:

SunshineCEN

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »

Hi and welcome. Can relate to what you is happening to you and like you knew no one else going through the same. My symptoms started suddenly after a few years without periods. I had all the weird head things you talk about and thought I was dying. Have you considered hrt at all, it has helped me?

This is a brilliant forum and helped me enormously.

Lesley x

Hi Lesley, Hope you are well.  I agree with you - the forum has been extremely helpful. Regarding HRT - Saw GP yesterday and she retracted what she had told me 'that HRT is only given in life-threatening circumstances' and has now said that they can make a case for HRT where a woman's quality of life is severely affected.  She may now be considering me for HRT but in the meantime has had me do a fasting blood test to see how my body is doing.  Will know more when I go back for the results :) x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »

Well done Sunshine   - it's sad that GPs need women to be assertive to get what they NEED.  It's good to have blood tests done - I assume they are testing for diabetes etc. hence the fasting - just to rule out any other factors.
Next time you go i would make sure you have clued up on the different HRTs in case he/she fobs you off with the first HRT they find in their magic drug book.
If HRT is the way to go for you, do ask for the bio-identical. I would recommend you ask for Oestrogel + Utrogestan(micronised progesterone ) as you can easily adjust the amount of oestrogen you use - starting with one pump and use more if need be.
Dr. Currie describes Ustrogestan as " breast Friendly". It's also worth checking out Prof. John Studd's site - some good stuff there to quote to your GP.
Others will probably come along with advice on this.
Good luck.
DG x

SunshineCEN

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »

Hi sunshineCEN :welcomemm:

Hi Dyan,

Thank you for the welcome - sorry for late response - had a busy week last week.  I hope you are having a good day  :yipi:

SunshineCEN

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »

Well done Sunshine   - it's sad that GPs need women to be assertive to get what they NEED.  It's good to have blood tests done - I assume they are testing for diabetes etc. hence the fasting - just to rule out any other factors.
Next time you go i would make sure you have clued up on the different HRTs in case he/she fobs you off with the first HRT they find in their magic drug book.
If HRT is the way to go for you, do ask for the bio-identical. I would recommend you ask for Oestrogel + Utrogestan(micronised progesterone ) as you can easily adjust the amount of oestrogen you use - starting with one pump and use more if need be.
Dr. Currie describes Ustrogestan as " breast Friendly". It's also worth checking out Prof. John Studd's site - some good stuff there to quote to your GP.

Others will probably come along with advice on this.
Good luck.
DG x

Hi Dancinggirl - Thank you for the encouragement.  Blood test being done because GP advised that I am hypertensive 154/97 average following 24 hour ambulatory monitoring.  She prescribed medication but I will be insisting on them investigating to find out why blood pressure is up when I go back for the results.  I did point out to GP that this has become an issue since being in the menopause.  I do not want to be bound to medication for the rest of my life if I do not have to.  I was disappointed that GP was quick to write the prescription without at the very least investigating the cause as well as taking into account my own observations of my body. Too often GPs want to deal with the symptom rather than the cause!!!

Regarding HRT - when I do go back I will have to write down the questions beforehand because after visiting GP yesterday, I realised after the fact that there were at least 4 four questions I wanted to ask but forgot. Speaking with my GP is no relaxed affair!! :( In then out!! 5 mins if you are lucky and then out.  Thanks for the information for suggested HRT.  My hypertension may impact her decision - I suppose.  Nevertheless, I will be increasing my exercise regimen, as I have a very low salt diet.  Look forward to any further insight from others :hug: x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »

Getting an holistic approach from doctors is very difficult.  I am great at dealing with doctors on behalf of family members but useless for myself - I'm a quivering wreck and always come out feeling frustrated & mentally exhausted.  I write things down and also ask for a longer appointment if possible.
I could be very wrong here ( I probably am, so don't quote me) but I think the stress of coping with meno symptoms is enough to drive anyone's blood pressure up!
DG x
Pages: 1 [2]