Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Premarin 0.625  (Read 5695 times)

jaybe

Premarin 0.625
« on: October 30, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »

Hi i have just joined this website.
I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago (ovaries remained) and thought maybe the menopause had escaped me...i am 53
But in the last month I have gone from feeling like a 30 year old to horrible night sweats(my boyfriend says i feel like a jellyfish in a microwave!) and aching joints all over....feel like an old woman even walking up the stairs!
So I looked on this site and decided to head for the doctor ...she put me om PREMARIN and i have been on it 3 days....hoping it will work soon!
Is anyone else on it? i only got a few minutes of the doctor's time. She asked if i would prefer something natural or man made....I said...oh natural please....but she said this was estrogen from the womb of a pregnant horse !
So hope i don't grow a tail and get very large teeth.
Just wondered if anyone else has experience of this type of hrt and how long it might take to work....am sleeping on a towel !!
thanks  ::)

Taz2

Re: Premarin 0.625
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum jaybe - you will find lots of support on here.

Your doc may have asked about your preference for HRT because all of the ones beginning with Prem are indeed made from the urine of pregnant mares which are kept specifically for this purpose. Some people disagree with the way the mares are kept - connected up to a urine collection device for up to six months and given restricted access to water to concentrate the urine - and so prefer a different type of HRT.

HRT patches seem to have the quickest result re hot flushes - sometimes they disappear within 24 hours but pill HRT can take longer. It takes around three months before you know how it will really suit you and then, if you are still having problems, you can try a different sort.

Have a browse through the menu on the left of the screen and also have a good read through all of our posts to find out more.

Taz  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »

Hi and welcome jaybe
I agree with Taz2 - patches can be a good way to go.  Soak up all the info on this site &  Dip into some of the different threads.
I've used Oestrogel for many years - a gel you apply each day to inner thighs and it gives you the opportunity to adjust your dosage.
Good luck  Dg x

jaybe

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »

Thank you for your replies Taz and DG.... I will indeed have a browse...
Oh I had no idea about how the horses are treated....not sure i like the sound of that....lots to learn it seems.
And gel on the inner thigh....and that works? Amazing :o

jaybe x

bramble

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:33:26 PM »

I was on Premique - same basis but slightly different and I found it the best one of all the 4 HRTs that I tried. The expression 'horses for courses' would be appropriate here! Good luck.

Bramble

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:41 AM »

You will notice that everyone has different experiences and what works for one will not work for another.
Yes, Gel does work well.  Both gel and patches can work faster than pills - they don't have to go through the liver and therefore can be tolerated better.
You are on a steep learning curve - keep going and you will hopefully be able to find the perfect fit for you.
DG x

andius

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 01:04:10 AM »

Most of the long time premarin users that I know love it.  It apparently works very well for the symptoms!

I hope it works for you.

Andius

jaybe

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 10:56:11 PM »

thanks all for you very helpful replies....still sleeping on my towel...but early days ::)
x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 09:13:40 AM »

I used to be on premarin many years ago. They have lactose in them so can't take due to lactose intolerance. I changed to gel & only found out later about where premarin came from. Not sure I could have continued if I'm honest. Now on patches.