Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Secret World of the Cat (TV programme)  (Read 12285 times)

Cazikins

Re: The Secret World of the Cat (TV programme)
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

I watched it but was a bit dissapointed as it didn't really show me anything I hadn't already discovered from owning a cat.
Cazi x

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 06:14:19 PM »

I started watching it but it was very boring and slow. I left it recording and went up the pub

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »

'Odour Eliminator' or a good biological washing powder will shift Tom-cat smells. 

We watched the programme but didn't see the follow-up.  I was surprised at how close to 'home' the cats stayed  ???

Cazikins

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »

I left it recording and went up the pub

Taz x

I wish I had gone with you Taz.

I didn't bother with the follow up.

ariadne

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »

I watched it on the laptop with my cat! She seemed more interested than me  ;D  I was surprised how many owners let their cats out at night or is it just me being overprotective? I have always kept mine inside at night.

Back to my cat watching the program - I've never had a cat that was remotely interested in the TV before but Tabatha loves it. I even googled "Videos for cats" and was surprised to find Youtube videos especially for cats! She loves one I found that shows sparrows visiting a bird table

ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

Mine watched it but that's because of the sounds they were hearing I think.

As for keeping cats in at night. We have always kept ours in until this one... there is no way we can keep him in. If we keep him downstairs with his litter tray like we have done with all our other cats over the years (12 altogether) he just scraps up all the carpets and claws the doors. We can't let him upstairs as we would then have to close the bedroom windows (chalet style house with easy access to roof and then tree to the ground) and I can't bear to sleep with the window closed not even in Winter. For a small cat (chinchilla persian) he is very determined but also, sadly, very lacking in the IQ department. I do worry about him being out. He tends to go off over the roof for a while and then come back in again. I am always pleased to find him asleep in his latest favourite cardboard box when I get up each day.

Of course the open bedroom window is also the way that countless other cats come in and out all night. All different in their entrances. There is the dainty sort of bouncy landing of little black and white. The almighty THUD of fat ginger. The sort of slithery, scratchy sound of might-be-a-stray elderly grey cat as he slides down the chest of drawers which is under the window before hobbling off to see what is left in the saucers. There is the clod-hopping over the tiles of three-legged black and white and the joyful "brrrp" as he bounces onto the bed and off again.... We have a busy bedroom  ;D

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »

Haha - is this your bedroom Taz? I would get no sleep at all if that happened - I am such a light sleeper and it is so quiet here at night that I would wake at every scratch and slither, and then I can't get back to sleep again! Sounds like a wild rumpus (where the wild things are!)......!

Our cats have always been out at night as cats are nocturnal so I feel that's where they want to be, but usually in and sleeping in the day - except in summer of course.  As we have never had a cat flap my husband built a kennel thing for them for when it's really cold with a low watt thing that gives off heat ( talk about spoilt!) but there have always been plenty of outbuildings around too as it's a village.

All we need now is another cat or two of our own!

Hurdity x

ariadne

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »

Cats are "crepuscular" meaning most active at dawn and dusk. It's a word I'd never heard until recently. My cat is allowed out up until we go to bed between 11pm and midnight.

She is most unfriendly to other cats much to my disappointment. There's a lovely little ginger and white cat comes around our garden and is obviously wanting to make friends but she will have none of it.  Then there is one jet black kitten and one pure white kitten who I think live together  ;)  - they want to play as well but she bristles at them too.

We do have a cat flap but I block it up at night rather than lock it because I think if I lock it, she wouldn't understand why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and just keep battering it with her head -  and then she might be wary of using it.

ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »

To me the programme didn't quite let me see as much as I wanted to. When it said that whatever cat it was left home at 11.30 and then went into the woods.... and returned at dawn. Well, the interesting thing to me would have been what he did between the hours of 11.30 and dawn!

Taz x

Elena

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »

I recorded it so havent seen it yet but I had hoped it would show the cat's actual activities.  That's a shame :(

ariadne

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

I agree and weren't those cameras big? I don't think my cat would have put up with it. She makes enough fuss about a collar and is forever shaking her head and scratching her neck if I dare to put one on her.

I did make her wear one with 3 bells on last year every time she went out because she caught a couple of baby birds which upset me. This year, she hasn't caught any or even seemed very interested in them so I haven't made her wear the bell collar.

ariadne xx

littleminnie

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »

Just watched it. It said that cat owners are generally more intellegent than dog owners.  ::)
Pages: 1 [2]