Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Horrid experience on Facebook??  (Read 11967 times)

honeybun

Re: Horrid experience on Facebook??
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »

I just don't want it in my life at all. I want the minimum information out there about me and my family.
Both of my kids have accounts but they don't use them. My son has said he has seen some get into real difficulties after inappropriate comments. Jobs have been lost through a drunken rant.

I have to say if you don't like it then delete it. We have enough stress without adding to it.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »

I love Facebook - but it can take up quite a lot of time. I like using the chatbox. It's been great to keep in touch with my son out in Canada and also the other son and his music career and I also like Twitter. I appreciate that you have to be careful though with what is posted. It's the same with forums really - all of it is easily accessible to others.

Taz x

annieb

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »

thanks all for the interesting and helpful comments. I've had a thorough look at my facebook and fortunately it is very secure with minimum info. I certainly never tell too much about me especially the bit about going on hols   the "friend" did not pass the abuse comments I put friend in inverted commas as she is someone I new from school who I thought I new but has obviously changed a lot in the past 30 years. I think she is basically a good person and as someone commented , maybe she did not realise exactly what she web link was liking as she is always LIKING things. I'm not so upset now as I have got over the initial shock and put it into perspective and have certainly learned a valuable lesson.  Think I might start writing letters to my friends and family in future. Now there's a new trend I could start  ;D 

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

I keep my usage to a minimum. It's mainly to keep in touch with distant relatives and a few well chosen friends. I have unfriended one as she and her "friends" started annoying my son's GF to play online games. I dumped her pretty darned quickly. We'd been friends & enemies at school and I thought I would give her a second chance. She obviously hadn't changed. I've got my account security set pretty high.

lesley998

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »

...someone earlier mentioned if you google your MM sign in name, all your posts come up. I think its the same for  most forums; I can still see things I posted years ago on the Channel 4 Forum, and its been defunct for years!   Stuff certainly does stick around on the internet.  But the scary thing to do is google your own, real name!   That can be quite a revelation... :o

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »

I think we've all done that sweet pea. I didn't find anything that interesting disappointingly!

Taz x  :D

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »

I just googled my name, not a dicky bird and I went through quite a few pages ::) there was a face book name but it wasn't me, a business

woman, definitely not me and DJ and that was it. Very boring.

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »

Most of mine are related to our business - companies house, business directories etc.- music sites, Facebook and Twitter. It also depends on how unusual your name is I suppose.

Taz x

Elena

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »

Nothing comes up if I google me :)

Joyce

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »

I live in various places in the world. I wish! But nothing glaringly obvious which directs folk to me.

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »

When I Google me.....I am very involved with horses it would seem.  ;D

The only other thing I am on is telephone directories.

Even Honeybun comes up with nothing.

Off to see to the horses now.....oops that's not me.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:23 PM »

When I googled honeybun it brought up your profile page from on here and the "show posts" of course.

Taz x

lesley998

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »

...gosh, must just be me then.  If I google my own name, up come my photos from all the forums and social networking sites I have ever been on, and loads of other stuff about me AND  'him indoors!      Mind you, we do run our own business, and have been puddling about on the internet since 1995....and we breed and show dogs too,  so a lot of our pedigree lines pop up as well.  Nothing too nasty or incriminating, I just hate the thought that there is information out there about me!   
Pages: 1 [2]