Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Newby  (Read 8731 times)

Hurdity

Re: Newby
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 10:36:36 PM »

Hi Sheila

Sorry to hear about your sleepless night - tiredness is so debilitating, and I think that and the sweats is what turned most of us to HRT just so that we could function normally.

Good luck with the doc and yes - do keep us posted - we are all interested in how others get on and are here to help and support where we can. We are always pleased when something works well because the idea is for us not to have to suffer unnecessarily!

Hurdity x

sheila1955

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »

Hi Hurdity

Went to my GP to make my request. He sat and listened to what I had to say then said it would be cruel to put me back onto the HRT to take me off when I turn 60. I said that I would take it short term so he said okay. I gave him the name Estradot and Ultrogestan and said that I was looking for the low dose in patches - he said oestrogen is oestrogen no matter which way it is taken. He then looked up his little book and left the room. When he came back his said that he had discussed this with my other doctor and they both agreed that they could not prescribe this at this level as I still had my uterus. They could give me it at a higher dose but as I had requested the lower they could not give me it. He also said that they could not give me it separately only combined as they had not done this before. He then suggested that I go see a gynecologist at the menopause clinic to discuss this further. In the meantime he has prescribed Venlafaxine anti-depressant as he states that it helps with flushes.

I have now called my nearest clinic for an appointment to be told that the only one available is in August 2013. I can only hope that the Venlafaxine works :(

Sheila 1955

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »

Hi sheila

Sorry no time to reply properly now as out working soon and this evening but I am absolutely livid on your behalf.

You do not need to take anti-depressants for flushes when it's HRT you need and you've asked for it, Personally I wouldn't take them in your situation. Great they have referred you but in the meantime I would go back again.

What exactly (in terms of product and dose)  did you ask for and what were the reasons for refusal?

In the meantime they could easily prescribe you with some form of HRT eg Femoston - for the time being until the clinic. I would go back asap .....

In haste
Hurdity x

sheila1955

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Sorry its so late as Ive not that long finished work.

I asked for what you are using to be told that as I have still got my uterus I can't get that one so I asked for another patch with a low dose and was told that I could only get it at a higher dose combined. As I said on the previous summary the doc went and spoke to the other GP in my practice for more info and then came back and told me that it would be best if I went to see a gynecologist at the meno clinic.

I then said that I needed something just now not in three months so he suggested the Venlafaxine anti-depressant stating that it was effective in stopping flushes. I wouldn't normally take anything so I said okay to a low dose 37.5 mg anything to get a sleep.

He also mentioned that he would need to take me off it HRT once I turned 60.

All I can do is wait for the appointment and in the meantime hope the Venlafaxine helps.

Hope you are well.

Sheila1955

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »

Sorry Sheila your doc is talking rubbish. This is just dreadful to hear - these so-called professionals are making decisions about women's lives and are too ignorant about menopause to do so! I mean all this information is on this website (including the risks and benefits) - they could at least have looked on here if they hadn't come across micronised progesterone ie Utrogestan.

As you still have a uterus - of course you cannot use Estradot on its own - but since you asked for Utrogestan too, then of course you can as it is the progesterone to protect the lining and they don't know what they are talking about!!!  >:(

Ditto re coming off HRT. He is bound to tell you the risks as is still the official line - but the British Menopause Soc paper does not say that HRT should be stopped at 60. It should be a woman's informed choice and they cannot refuse.

As for "oestrogen is oestrogen" ??!!!!

Very good to have been referred to a meno clinic but such a pity you have been prescribed an anti-depressant for flushes when you didn't ask for them, as you will then have to come off them and this can have its own problems. However I do appreciate your need for something in the short term but so sorry the medical profession has failed you in the first instance, especially after you came on here, read up about it and went along to the doc with your decision. It makes me so cross and I so sympathise on your behalf  :(

I hope you are not too disappointed with the outcome of your visit and I really hope you start to feel better soon :)

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »

Hi Sheila - only just seen this.

I thought that there were definite benefits from HRT.
Improvements in bone density, heart condition. hot flushes, (sanity - perhaps not medically proven) 

Is it possible to see another GP in your area?
Failing that, go back and point out to your GP that HRT is probably less damaging than anti depressants. You can assess the risks yourself. As Hurdity says it's a womans informed choice.

If it doesn't work out that way, hope the meno clinic goes well.
Good Luck

sheila1955

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »

Thanks Hurdity and Limpy.

My only concern right now is the length of time I have to wait for the Meno clinic.  I need the HRT now not later. I suppose my only consolation is the anti depressants - that's if they work. I will have to wait and see.

Going to another GP is not an option. The only alternative is the Meno clinic so roll on August.

I will keep in touch through this website and let you know how I get on.

Hurdity, thanks for all the info and help you've been a good listener and adviser  :)

xx

Sheila 1955

ellie66

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »

If you are anywhere near London the Margaret Pyke Family Planning Clinic NHS in Central London sees women from all the UK and it offers meno advice. Just a thought as you may get an appointment sooner. I used it when I lived in Bucks so it definitely sees women from outside London. Its self referral.

EDIT checked the web site yes it still says meno advice. I think they may do Walk In Clinics too http://www.margaretpyke.org/ 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 09:42:48 PM by ellie66 »

sheila1955

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »

Hi Ellie66

I live in Glasgow so that's not an option but thanks for the suggestion.

xx

Sheila1955
Pages: 1 [2]