Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 3990 times)

Powderpuff

Hi
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »

Hello ladies. I've been browsing this site for approx 6 months now and finally took the plunge and registered.

I'm 45 and believe I've been Peri-menopausal for about 3 years. I have been having night sweats throughout this time and for the last 6 months have been experiencing terrible anxiety, mood swings, hair loss, brain fog & my periods are becoming a bit erratic in length/flow. I think I'm also starting with hot flushes but only around my head!? 

I went to the doctor yesterday following an earlier visit and requested HRT (mostly to help with the emotional problems I'm having). After researching the various options I requested Estradot patches and Utrogestan pills(because of hair loss),which the doctor happily prescribed.

I'm a bit confused though as to when I'm supposed to start them and the doctor didn't explain (she wasn't that familiar with the different varieties of HRT)

The leaflet states I can start the patches anytime because I'm not on an existing HRT and the Utrogestan leaflet states to take that at bedtime on day 15 to 26 of my cycle.

Am I best to wait until my next period to start the patches? Otherwise it's 16 days until my actual period is due and if I start the patches now it would be 31 days until I take the Utrogestan . Will that matter? Any help would be much appreciated ( I tied myself up in knots last night thinking about it all - part of my anxiety, everything becomes a huge issue!)

KatieLiz

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

I take HRT but just one tablet and have no experience of two different types.   I would advise either waiting for someone else with more experience to post on here or to phone your GP and ask for specific instructions.

It is a bit worrying when your GP has not much experience with regard to HRT, but I don't think you are alone! 

Even when I started HRT it was a bit like 'well it's your decision' rather than 'this is what I advise'.

Perhaps have a look at the green menu of the left and see what instructions are given?

Sorry I'm not of more help but hope you get sorted soon. xxx

Powderpuff

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and reply KatieLiz :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »

Hi powderpuff

:welcomemm:

That's what I use and there are others on here who do too - in fact there is another thread here where another member is just starting exactly the same.....

I'm not really sure about when to start - it's so long ago. Normally you would start a cyclical HRT on Day 1 (first day of bleeding) for the oestrogen only and then take the progesterone for the last 12 - 14 days - whatever you have been prescribed - but the bleed would then occur a few days later.

Therefore it does seem a bit strange to go 31 days without progesterone but it's not much longer - you might just get a bit of a heavier bleed.

How are your periods at the moment? If your cycle is erratic you may still get bleeding at odd times anyway while peri so why not just get going and see how you feel?

Hope it makes you feel better!

Hurdity x

Powderpuff

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:08:56 AM »

Thanks for the welcome and reply Hurdity. I think I will just bite the bullet and start straight away. :)

Liz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »

Hi Powderpuff!  Hurdity mentioned another member who is starting the very same routine - it's me! 

My GP (who is very good with Meno problems and knowledge) advised me to start on the first day of my period.  I'm actually changing from Femseven Sequi patches, though, so will be changing next Wednesday to the Estradot 50.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on with your new routine.  Feel free to PM as well, if you want to moan about symptoms! :)  I'm also starting HRT for the emotional symptoms.  I've been found to be progesterone intolerant, but also have problems with anxiety and mood swings. 

Powderpuff

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »

Hi Liz, lovely to hear from you. I stressed a bit more about starting the patches so I eventually rang the doctors surgery. The duty doctor rang me back. She queried what day I was on my natural cycle (which ranges from 24 to 33 at the moment) turns out today was my day 15 so she said just go ahead and start both the Utrogestan and Estradot today and just be aware things may be a bit erratic until my body adjusted. Patch is already on and just waiting for bedtime to pop that pill! :) I never used to be such a wuss about things but this peri thing has turned me into a jibbering wreck :D

Liz

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 06:42:03 AM »

Hi Powderpuff! To be honest, I can't wait to get started on the new routine as the FemSeven patches irritate my skin and the progesterone doesn't suit me.  Do you find that you've had anxiety during your perimenopause?  I seem to blow things out of proportion too and noise irritates me.

Please keep in touch - would be great to compare experiences, seeing as we're both on the same HRT.
 :)