Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Thyroid TSH  (Read 15143 times)

shrimpette

Re: Thyroid TSH
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »

thanks ladies, I'm happy - perhaps the wrong word - to fight my corner, but what extra stress when we are not feeling our best and we are struggling with menopausal symptoms, hypothyroidism whilst holding down jobs and looking after our families. I am going to look around for another GP practice straight away - I've done as much as I can where I am currently registered.

Stellajane - isn't this the classic dilemna most menopausal women face - are my symptoms the result of the menopause or something else??

Melbury

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »

I am going to see an endocrinologist in a couple of weeks time and I am going to ask him if I can try a combination of T4 and T3.  Have been on just T4 for the past six years (125mg per day) and have never felt what I would call really well. Also I struggle to lose any weight - however little I eat the weight will just not shift and it really gets me down :'(

I have heard that some people feel a lot better having the combination of T4 and T3.  Has anyone on here had any luck with a sympathetic caring endo or GP?  I do wish they would concentrate a bit more on asking exactly how you feel rather than just saying that your results and within the reference range so you must be fine. :(

Elena

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

Hi Melbury

my old GP was great at listening to how I felt and adjusting my dosage of thyroxine acccordingly rather than going by the blood tests results.  However I was only ever offered thyroxine.  How do you get T3 and T4?

Millie

Melbury

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »

I think only an endocrinologist can prescribe both T4 and T3.  As far as I am aware you have to take a very small amount of T3 twice a day because it doesn't stay in your body for that long.  Also I think your T4 dosage is dropped back a bit as well.  Not really sure, but I want to find out.

Elena

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

Interesting.  I think the only time I was referred to an edocrinologist was when I stopped taking my thyroxine as without it I no longer had mid-cycle pain.  Also I think they tested me for Hashimoto's.  Long time ago now  :-\

Melbury

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »

I know, they do seem a bit lax in referring you back to the endocrinologist. I haven't seen one for over six years when I was first diagnosed with underactive thyroid.  Surely a follow up every 2-3 years wouldn't be expecting too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3]