Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thyroid TSH  (Read 15157 times)

Smokey

Re: Thyroid TSH
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »

That's interesting Milliemoo,

I take mine at 7am and my blood test is not until 2pm should I miss one altogether then or take it after? Do you think.

Elena

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

Til this last time I have always taken my thyroxine as per usual.  It's up to you but I wuold be tempted to skip it then take after the blood test to see how much, if any, difference it makes.

Smokey

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »

I still feel horrible, but I have started taking my thyroxin earlier in the morning as if thyroid peakes after 4 hours it would mean I should feel more energetic at breakfast time rather than late morning, and it seems to have worked,as I felt much better this morning , however after getting showered and dressed was yuck again!

I found my last reading, on here actually back in September it was 1.8 that was after I started taking 50mg, I'm tempted to increase dose by 25mg, but I'm reluctant as maybe it could make me worse.

I have lots of aches and pains as well, which have come on suddenly.

shrimpette

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »

My last TSH reading was 5.14 and higher than
recomended level by TUK. GP after GP maintain that my results are in the normal range even though I keep tellling them how awful I feel. I'm depressed apparently and need to lose weight! I would if I only had the energy! There have been times when I have felt that I have woken from a coma I am so tired! 48 and meno (no period for 8 mths), lone parent for 10 with full time job....sometimes I just despair. How do I get my GP to take me seriously??? Can't afford private practitioner rec by TUk. Btw, a TSH of 9 would be high and would definitely point to hypothyroidism... xx

Elena

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 09:42:18 PM »

Can you see a different GP at the practice?  Or change to another practice?

Cassie

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »

The idea is to get your TSH under 2, your GP needs a fat smack, surely someone else can take you seriously. Chances are you also have thyroid antibodies, they seldom test for those, but it is important to treat your problem with Eltroxin or whatever your Dr prescribes for thyroid. Sometimes ones body doesnt convert the T4 into T3 either, so whilst you may be on Eltroxin you may still feel blergh, then they often prescribe Diotroxin, but am sure that on Eltroxin alone you will feel so much better, could you not be referred to an Endo? The labs have such wide ranges for what is normal, you need to go by your symptoms and clearly you are not doing well and need treatment.

Hannah1

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »

I agree with Cassie, Shrimpette.  I am an underactive thyroid too and you do need your TSH lower than yours to feel any better and your T4 in the top of the range. Also making sure that you are not vitamin D deficient (I was severely deficient in this) as a deficiency in that will give you all manner of aches and pains.  Also iron levels need to be good and vitamin B12.  A lot of GP's are like this, I know, in that they want to stick within a range of numbers regardless of how you are feeling.  My TSH is low but my GP asked me how I felt and when I told her that I was feeling really well and no adverse effects she was quite happy for me to carry on with my dose of 125mcg.  Some GP's would have lowered my dose.

If you can see another GP or get a referral for an Endo then I think you would do better - whatever, don't give up as you have a right to feel well.

Hannah

shrimpette

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 01:22:41 PM »

Thanks Hannah, it sounds like you have a good GP. I have known for some time that my TSH is too high but GPs (several) have been dismissive. Yesterday, a locum agreed to do all my bloods again including thyroid antibody test. Will this help or do they need to look a T3, T4? The anti body test is for hashimotos and that is different to underactive thyroid?? Having liver function, glucose, iron etc done too. I have been feeling dizzy recently and have had a lot of migraines in the last six months, BP is high too AND it turns out I have a urinary infection AND my brain fog is TREMENDOUS! Do you feel well on your medication now? Thanks for your support ladies.  :)

Elena

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »

Hashimoto's is the name of a particular brand of underactive thyroid.  I believe it is an auto-immune disease but not as alarming as that sounds!

I have underactive thyroid and have had since I was 39 (am 55 now). On 125mg thyroxine daily but still get brain fog :(

shrimpette

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »

Hi Milliemoo,

Thanks - I wasn't sure. I'm sorry you still have brain fog...does this mean you may need more than 125mg thyroxine? It's a complex subject, the biochemistry I mean, T4 converts to T3 and if there are problems with amino acids, conversion to T3 can be limited and no benefit felt.  :( Just hope I can get a diagnosis.

Elena

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 04:36:05 PM »

I think the brain fog is meno, or senile dementia  :(.  At work this morning I couldnt begin to think how to spell Melissa.  Couldnt think where to start even.

English, spelling, grammar etc was my best subject.  Now I find myself thinking "is that right?" about all of it.  Scary  ???

Elena

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »

and yes, it is complex.  So complex in fact that I cant get my brain around it so if you fancy explaining it in a simple way I'd be grateful.

Cassie

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:01 AM »

You need Selinium in order to convert, so a brazil nut or 3 each day, is an excellent source, just do not overdo it as they are very high in Selenium and that can cause problems. Its like hormone balancing, a real science to get the levels right!

shrimpette

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 10:54:02 AM »

Hi Milliemoo, sorry, I don't really understand it myself. I've been  doing a lot of reading in desperation. I have spent the last week dizzy, and another migraine too. At work I can't focus very well at all and I feel like I am detached from the world and my eyes are in the back of my head! Oh and ringing in my ears for months.

Had some bloods done yesterday. GP doesn't think I have labrynthitis (?) so no referral to audiology but mentioned a possible referal to neurology depending on symptoms, BP and blood test results, which i should get back this week.  I do have a lot of musle pain (some weakness too) and stiffness, epsecially the front of the top of my arms like I have pulled a muscle but they never gets better. GP was definitely checking for neuro problems, MS no doubt, so I am terrified!  :( When I look at my symptoms, they fit perfectly with fybromalgia (sorry -can't spell). Could be thyroid, could be meno....I don't know, but very fed up and worried. Can't stop yawning too....

Anyone have the same symptoms linked to underactive thyroid?

Elena

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

If you are lucky you  will get a GP who looks at all your symptoms, not just the reading that comes back from your blood test.  My old GP was all for giving me the dosage of thyroxine that I felt well on, not the one that my blood test showed me that I needed.

So if you really  think it is your thyroid then be prepared to back and fight your corner, nicely of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3