Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hello from me  (Read 2401 times)

notpastit

Hello from me
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »

I hope I really am not 'not past it' - though sometimes.....
I had an early menopause at 40 followed by 10 years on HRT. I never had flashes or night sweats but my memory was all over the place and I could barely do my job - the HRT did wonders and I only came off it due to the health scares at the time. Now at 62, I wouldn't know a libido if it bit me on the nose and I've had awful vaginal dryness/pain. Never mind 'discomfort' or 'pain during sex' - I'm talking walking round Asda while a little gremlin inside jabs me with a sharp knife :'(  Just trying Vagifem after shoving everything up there but the kitchen sink. The GP shocked me somewhat by asking if I wanted to go back on regular HRT. I'm 62!  But never say never.. So here I am looking for experience and answers  Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:41:57 PM by notpastit »

KatieLiz

Re: Hello from me
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »

I'm 52 and have been taking HRT for 18 months but my mother-in-law is 67 years young and has been taking HRT since a hysterectomy in her early 40's.  Her GP keeps her on it to help with osteoporosis.  I think HRT helps with so many symptoms, I don't want to stop taking it. 

Maybe the best thing is to go back on it.  You can take one tablet to help with lots of symptoms or take lots of tablets that don't cover all your symptoms!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:35 PM »

Hello notpastit - of course you're not and  :welcomemm:

Interesting to hear your doc (GP) is suggesting going back on HRT.

The current thinking seems to be it is likely to be of minimal risk if started taken within 10 years of menopause or before the age of 60 but the risks start to increase otherwise - although the evidence on which this is based is still controversial.

If you look at the info on this site, as a rule of thumb, it seems that overall the risks balance the benefits between 60 and 70 whereas under 60 the benefits outweigh the risks
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

If you are thinking of it, at your age I would go for transdermal (patches or gel) and bioidentical progesterone (Utrogestan) which are likely to be associated with less risk for long term older users  than tablets and synthetic progestogens. I would also start with a very low dose and build up gradually if necessary.

I am 60 but haven't really stopped taking it - although have been recently advised to do so temporarily by one GP pending investigation of a problem, but not by Dr Currie. I don't intend to stop - at least for the forseeable future unless absolutely advised on health grounds

I don't know about answers - but I hope this helps

Hurdity x

Evenstar

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum ;D

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

Hello from me too and  :welcomemm:

I am 52 and been on HRT for 7 years.
Won't be without.