Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hi - I'm new and being weaned off!  (Read 14902 times)

thetimeofmylife

Re: Hi - I'm new and being weaned off!
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »

Agree with Taz in that I am 61yrs old and have a history of high blood pressure in the past and was on tablets for 10 yrs or so when I was on the highest dose of Premarin.  Premarin has been established as increasing BP and the risk of strokes in people over 60 and this is the main reason he wanted me to try and wean off.  My BP has come right down to the point that I no longer need medication which is brilliant.  My Mum had a couple of mini strokes when she was alive but not a major one thank heavens which  he also was a bit concerned about with me. 

I am very concerned about the arthritis though and the slight loss in height since my last bone scan so I'll keep you updated on the next step of the plan!

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 10:53:17 AM »

I'm back with a quick update!  Since I last posted, I have had the DEXA scan and this revealed no osteoporosis but osteopenia and recommended having my calcium and Vit D levels checked.  This I've now done and they've come back as normal but my GP says he will have me scanned regularly and blood checks too to monitor for any changes.  I'm on my last week ever (!) of HRT after reducing right down to two a week of the lowest dose from the highest dose of Premarin.  So next week, I will be pill free for the first time in almost 25 years YAY!

So to all those who are worried about coming off who've been on it for eternity (25 years in my case) and are terrified at the prospect of living without it as I was, it's definitely worth giving it a go.  I feel fit, well and happy.  Haven't really had any wobbles at all other than slightly more joint pain than normal but have put this down to the extra daily exercise I've been doing to help my bones for the future.   I appreciate everyone is different and might not be as lucky as I've been in coming off but, for me, the benefits of coming off have been very noticeable such as my blood pressure has reduced so much that I no longer need medication which I had to take for 10 years because it was so high, my cholestrol is at last starting to come down, my skin is much healthier looking, hair is starting to thicken, and I don't get stressed out as easily.  I haven't experienced any dryness at all (so far anyway) so I'm glad I took the plunge and also my GP's advice.  Hope this helps anyone contemplating coming off!

Taz2

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 11:54:08 AM »

Thanks for the update and it's great that you are now feeling so good - especially with the thickening hair and more energy. Let us know how you get on once you are totally HRT free - I found that it took around eight weeks for my symptoms to creep back in once I gave up my half a patch but as you have been on a really low dose for a while hopefully you will continue to feel good.

Taz x  :congrats:

thetimeofmylife

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »

Will do, fingers crossed and thanks!

Delilah

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »

Congrats, its so heartening to hear good news and gives us all hope for the future.  Please do let us all know how things go and I hope you continue to feel really well.

Delilah x
Pages: 1 2 [3]